Help with Headphone driver fading
Oct 15, 2005 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

RageX

New Head-Fier
I got a pair of headphones brand new ahile ago, and since there had been a problem with it; After sometime of listening, the volume of my ONE driver(left) fades off, while the other one stay constant. To fix this problem, i have to slide the LEFT volume to almost max then the sound will come back blasting at meor rejack my headphone to get the intended volume back on that driver. Lately it has been disappearing faster and gets annoying.. I have checked the source etc... and its not that so it must be the headphone.

No Amp, straight from soundcard to the headphone. I am very sure it has something to do with the headphone. I was thinking maybe someone recognizes this symptom?

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this... perhaps i can resolder something?????

Oct 15, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
oops, i got lost and thought this was a golf question for some reason...

..........OMG
eek.gif
eek.gif

rolleyes.gif
OK i changed the title

Oct 16, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 11
Buy a pair of Koss KSC-75's as a replacement. Problem solved for $20!

Oct 16, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 11
Hmmm, no i want to keep it, the sony v6 is still fairly new

besides im cheap...its quite expensive to aquire these headphones in canada

I mean theres so many people here own headphones, so someone must have encountered this problem

Oct 16, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 11
Do you have another source and a second headphone?... Just want to double check...

Use DVM and measure resistance across the TRS connector. Tip to ground and ring to ground. Both channels should measure equal ~65 ohms. If there is little difference I would suspect its notthe headphone.

if its not equal you either have a cable or driver issue.

To determine that, open up the cans and measure the resistance across the solder pads. Again it should be equal.

Garrett

Oct 16, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 11
o, kramer i asked u before and u suggested the same thing to me

yes i've checked the source with a second pair of headphones, but i dont have a DVM??

The problem is that it doesn't shut off right away... it fades... so i cant think of a reason for that unless its something within the driver.... but if it were wiring problems would the sound not go at all?

Oct 16, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by RageX
o, kramer i asked u before and u suggested the same thing to me

yes i've checked the source with a second pair of headphones, but i dont have a DVM??

The problem is that it doesn't shut off right away... it fades... so i cant think of a reason for that unless its something within the driver.... but if it were wiring problems would the sound not go at all?

LOL... nice to know I'm consistent. Fades... wierd... Ive never seen this before.

No DVM...?? Hmm I cant think of any other way to check.

You need to determine if its the cable/plug or the driver itself. For that you'll need a DVM.

IMHO you should go to Frys / Sears and invest in one. You can get a decent one for under $30. For crude measurements that's all that is needed. They have dozens of other applications around the house too, so don't think of it as a one-time expense to rescue a $70 headphone.

Is it temperature related? IE... does the problem occur if you leave the cans ON but not on your head?

Garrett

Oct 16, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #11 of 11
Hmm, i never thought of testing it for temperature.... but ill think of the DVM

Do you know how to open the jack on the v6, I cant find any gaps to unscrew, i wanna check the solders

Users who are viewing this thread

Back