Help with HD650
Apr 1, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #16 of 42
I disagree with the Senns liking tubes unless op prefers a darker sound. I use a LD MKIII and I wish I had gotten an SS amp instead since I find the sound a bit too "veiled".

The LK does allow you to switch tubes around though, which can be a big benefit.
smily_headphones1.gif
It doesn't sound bad at all btw, I just don't think a blanket statement like "they like tubes" takes into account the owner's possible preferences in consideration.

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well personally I prefer the Xonar series...

Haven't heard any of the X-Fis or Xonars with integrated headphone amp. I'm pretty sure even a portable amp will do better than the XtremeMusic on its own.

Xonar Essence STX is one of the first to have onboard HP AMP, and it is VERY good...
L3000.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by twhtpclover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Xonar Essence STX is one of the first to have onboard HP AMP, and it is VERY good...
L3000.gif

Now comes to the question I'm sincerely curious about: Compare to what?

Note: Not trying to put down the STX. It's an honest question.

Apr 1, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now comes to the question I'm sincerely curious about: Compare to what?

Note: Not trying to put down the STX. It's an honest question.

I'm not pro, but amps are for power, and the xonar's DAC stats are completely impressive aside from that.
happy_face1.gif

power wise

600 Ω:   80 mW (Figure 6)
 64 Ω:  170 mW (Figure 7)
 32 Ω: 1200 mW (Figure 8)

Can we say about 120mW @ 300ohm?

That is a **** ton of power for HD650 (106db/mw). Call Sennheiser if you don't think so.

Just because it doesn't cost a fortune doesn't mean it's not completely comparable to more expensive DAC+AMP combos.

Apr 1, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #22 of 42
2-3000 USD? You can get some very nice things with a budget like that and I wouldn't restrict myself to soundcards. or is there one 0 too many?

Apr 1, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #23 of 42
I have been reading for hour now on all these amps and trying to learn.
One question tho, I've got the impression that those amps called "tube-amps" are the best, but if I buy one of those, will i then have to replace amps over time because they'll wear out?

From what I've read, the Little Dot MK3 sound like a good alternative for the HD650's. To bad theres no shop in Sweden who sells them. But if i order a LT MK3, will it run fine at stock tubes and without me having to change tubes over time? because i just want something that works from scratch without having to replace parts on it. Maybe I've got it all wrong, but thats how I understand it works.

Now to another question, does anyone here have any idea at all as to when the Xonar Essence ST will be released? because the only info on it i can find on the web is the Guru 3D Sneak Preview.
confused_face_2.gif

By the way, theres almost no bass at all now on the HD650's plugged in directly to the X-Fi XtremeMusic, is it because i don't have a amp?

No matter how much i read, all people have diffrent opinions about what amp is best for HD650's. It drives me crazy
k701smile.gif
And why doesn't any of the amps talked about on this forum exist in any shop in Sweden.
confused_face_2.gif

Thanks!
//Pelle

Apr 1, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #24 of 42
Pelson - The Sennheiser HD650s perform well with tube amps ( I use the Little Dot MKIV SE upgraded with Auricaps and improved internal wires, Tungsol Black Plates and Russian 6H30P-DR power tubes ).

You can spend top money on the amp but you wont get anywhere near the full potential from your HD650s until you ditch the stock cable and use, as I do, something like the Stefan Audioart Equinox.

Apr 1, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #25 of 42
calling BS on the cable-replacement argument, unless you take 'full potential' a bit too literally... looks nice, sounds good but noway it's essential.

With a tube amp, the amp itself is just as durable as a 'normal' amp. Just the tubes wear out but you can replace them (think of them as lightbulbs). Lifespan depends on type etc.

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not pro, but amps are for power, and the xonar's DAC stats are completely impressive aside from that.
happy_face1.gif

power wise

600 Ω:   80 mW (Figure 6)
 64 Ω:  170 mW (Figure 7)
 32 Ω: 1200 mW (Figure 8)

Can we say about 120mW @ 300ohm?

That is a **** ton of power for HD650 (106db/mw). Call Sennheiser if you don't think so.

Just because it doesn't cost a fortune doesn't mean it's not completely comparable to more expensive DAC+AMP combos.

Here's a not very popular DAC/Amp combo:

Keces DA152

600 Ω ~ 140mw
32 Ω ~ 2000mw

I got those numbers out of this review. So have you personally compared the STX with other DAC and/or amp?

Apr 2, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with PC as source?

Krmathis uses a mac as source and owns an incredible beta22 with sigma22 power source, with AKG K1000. He also uses a Stax SR007 MK IIs...

There are plenty of others using a computer, PC or Mac as source who have incredible amplifiers.

Your comment doesn't make much sense to me, what does a PC have to do with how much to spend on an Amplifier? What do you think was used to make the music you are listening to? A vinyl or SACD player? No a PC. Mac, computer!

the term "PC source" can be~
Sound card -> digi out -> DAC as a set of PC source or
Sound card -> HP as PC source as well.

Your comment didnt make any sense either. If you only use xtremeMusic sound card without DAC, how to connect to an amp? Using 3.5 to 2RCA cannot provide any good sound. Spend 2K dollars to grab an amp to connect xtremeMusic? "Plenty of others" connect their amp to soundcard directly?

I didnt say using PC as source is a wrong choice. I use computer as well for listening CDs. But if you let me choose a 2K amp or 1K dac + 1K amp, I think everybody got the same answer.

Apr 2, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #28 of 42
The people using their PC/Mac with a higher end amplifier also use a separate DAC device in between, basically just using the PC/Mac as a transport and streaming the digital stream as unaltered as possible to the DAC and then to the amp. In this case it doesn't really matter if a CD transport or a PC is used.

3.5 to RCA can give good sound (define 'good'
wink.gif
), plenty of Pico/Predator users that are happy with it, but it's not an often used output for a standalone device.

Apr 2, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #29 of 42
^ What he say!
A computer can make an excellent source when paired up with a nice DAC. Just make sure you use lossless files and bit-perfect software for playback.

As mentioned above I happily live with such rig, feeding my K1000 / Stax system.
smile.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by CapQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using 3.5 to 2RCA cannot provide any good sound.

What in God's name are you talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back