Help with HD 598
Aug 7, 2014 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jr98

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I just purchased the Sennheiser HD 598 to hook up to my PC.  I'm simply using onboard sound right now and have the headphones hooked directly to the headphone slot on the PC.  I'm hearing a steady hissing in the background of music, most likely due to my poor setup I'm guessing correct?  Was hoping to get away without an AMP but I will get one and a DAC if needed/will help.

I'm not very knowledgeable in this area obviously, so I'd love some insight from one of the many folks here with your vast amount of knowledge please.

****Quick Update*****

I unplugged my desktop speakers from the back of the PC and put my headphones in their slot, which changed things SIGNIFICANTLY (much louder with much more clarity) but still some slight hissing at times.  I've already ordered a dedicated sound card to install with built in AMP, so that may help some?

Thank you.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 5
Usually embedded sound cards will pickup noise (especially at higher volumes), one of the reasons why external dac/amps are used. Although noise can be eliminated, the simulated surround sound is lost. Razer software is an option if using the external dac/amp.

If the embedded sound card is junky and hissing, then upgrading to a cheap sound card like the Asus Xonar DGX may be a good option. If just for music purposes and if you plan on upgrading (although you can try the Razer Software) go ahead and go with a DAC and amp.

The HD598 are not power hungry and are low impedance, an amp won't really help too much unless the embedded is really lacking in power.

May I ask what sound card you ordered?

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the info.  I ordered the exact card you named strangely enough - Xonar DGX.  Was going to go the high end route, but from the other reading I've done return on investment seemed minimal.

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 5
For the most part return on investment isn't amazing, that's why I've mainly bought used gear so far.Selling used gear is usually much less of a loss as to being the first owner selling an item acquired new. 

Even if you decide to go the high end route and further upgrade, having the card for playing games will still be quite nice.

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 5
Normally a hissing means a bad ground. Either on your 598 or the sound card. Might want to try other headphones/iems with the sound card and then the sennheisers with other sounds cards if you can and see what stops the hissing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back