Help with Gianni Schicchi please
Aug 9, 2004 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chicken

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone has any reccomendations of better artists for a rendition of Gianni Schicchi's O Mio Babbino Caro. I have fallen in love with this song and would like a good copy of it. thanks in advance for your help.

Aug 9, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the response. I also saw one on a Charlotte Church album as well. I guess I could pick between those two, but in my "opera ignorance" I was thinking a dedicated opera singer would have a more definitive version. I guess we'll see. Thanks again.

Aug 9, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 7
I can't find the CD right now, but I remembered a version by Leontyne Price on an album entitled " Pasta, (something), and Puccini" by BMG. Maybe a search at AMG might help.

Aug 9, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 7
It's on Renée Fleming's untitled Decca recital from 1999 with the LPO and Mackerras and - as I've just noticed today - on the new recital of Anna Netrebko, "Sempre libera" (Deutsche Grammophon, Mahler Chamber, Abbado).

Aug 11, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by chicken
I guess I could pick between those two, but in my "opera ignorance" I was thinking a dedicated opera singer would have a more definitive version.

You're not ignorant at all. Stay away from Church and Brightman. Fleming's version is okay but Price is a better choice. Other singers whose versions are worth seeking out are Maria Callas, Renata Scotto and Renata Tebaldi.

Aug 21, 2004 at 3:09 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tattoou2
I can't find the CD right now, but I remembered a version by Leontyne Price on an album entitled " Pasta, (something), and Puccini" by BMG. Maybe a search at AMG might help.

I stumbled across a copy of "Puccini and Pasta" locally and recalled having seen it mentioned in this thread. Really a nice anthology of Puccini, and nothing I would have considered buying on my own. Thanks for the pointer.

BW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back