Help with getting into Audiophile music
Aug 10, 2013 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Burns0100

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone im new to Head- fi so ill keep this short, my reason for starting this thread is I need help with a setup I have in might for a cheap but somewhat good setup to begin my Audiophile hobby, any tips or suggestions are welcome but ill most likely not change the headphones, ok ill list my components: Headphones will be the AKG K702 65th editions ( ill be using these as my main pair for most genres of music ) and ill connect them to a FiiO Olympus E10 amp ( cheapest amp with the best reviews I could find to drive these ), ill also be buying a pair of IEM's for portable use or if im not in the mood for Over-Ears, ill be buying the Monster Turbine Pro Copper IEM's with no additional amp. So the AKG's are about $500, AMP is $62 and the Turbines are $280.

So that's my setup ill be using my laptop for the amp and AKG's and my Iphone 3GS for the Turbines with CD quality music played through both, I know for a fact I could get a better setup for the price but I desire these two Headphones as they fit my style.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 3
If you can find them and do not mind the color the AKG Q701 is basically the same sounding as the K702, but will slightly lifted bass.  You can save almost $100 making this change.

Does the amp need to be portable?

Turbines are too expensive for what you get.

Take a read here and find something a little less expensive.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-292-iems-compared-short-impressions-of-11-iems-added-08-09-13-p-745/105

You will end up saving over $200 which you can apply to a better amp or a combo Amp+DAC like the JDS Labs O2+ODAC which is arguably one of the best sounding and best measuring amps.

Sep 21, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the reply and sorry i didn't get back sooner works been a bitch, ive gone with a pair of Sennhieser HD518s for the time being and am saving up for a Amp and might be upgrading to the HD600-650s if i notice a price drop anytime around christmas, though i did end up getting a pair of Monster turbines for $99 online and im happy with them but even still i did look into some Shure 535s and Westone 4r's which are both nice but at the moment abit far away from my price working only a casual cleaning job and for your help ill make sure to look into your amplifier suggestion. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back