Help With Gaming PC - To those with knowledge, I need your help!
Dec 20, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #61 of 82

Quote:
Quote:
hope im not too late but if you're going to game you need to throw as much money as you can to a graphics card. A quad core cpu will give you only about 2-5 fps more than a 2 core cpu. furthermore, your motherboard is too expensive, get something cheap but decent unless your planning to crossfire (ex. gigabyte 770t.) And 8 gb of ram is an overkill. Unless you're planning to do video editing or rendering 3d models, a 4 gb ram should suffice. So I would reccommend you to cut down as much cost on your mobo, ram, cpu and shell out on the gpu as much as possible (get the hd 6870 or better.) I would get this build if I were you. 

CPU phenom II 555 be
GPU HD 6870
Mobo Gigabyte 770t ud3
PSU 600 watt
ram 4 gb

Hope I helped

The extra 5ish FPS you get with the 6870 isn't worth an extra $60 imo.  Plus anything over 30 FPS is considered playable to the naked eye.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3987/amds-radeon-6870-6850-renewing-competition-in-the-midrange-market/1
For GPU comparions.  Game testing is on like page 4-11 or something.
But yea, I keep sayin 4GB of RAM Haze 
tongue.gif

I think his setup is fine other than that.  He is future proofing with the mobo as it has USB 3 and SATA 6 + crossfire ready.

No, your missing the point. Im saying that a quad core cpu performs very similiar to a dual core cpu in gaming so the op should get a dual core cpu instead of a quad core unless he wants to edit videos or render 3d models.

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #62 of 82

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
hope im not too late but if you're going to game you need to throw as much money as you can to a graphics card. A quad core cpu will give you only about 2-5 fps more than a 2 core cpu. furthermore, your motherboard is too expensive, get something cheap but decent unless your planning to crossfire (ex. gigabyte 770t.) And 8 gb of ram is an overkill. Unless you're planning to do video editing or rendering 3d models, a 4 gb ram should suffice. So I would reccommend you to cut down as much cost on your mobo, ram, cpu and shell out on the gpu as much as possible (get the hd 6870 or better.) I would get this build if I were you. 

CPU phenom II 555 be
GPU HD 6870
Mobo Gigabyte 770t ud3
PSU 600 watt
ram 4 gb

Hope I helped

The extra 5ish FPS you get with the 6870 isn't worth an extra $60 imo.  Plus anything over 30 FPS is considered playable to the naked eye.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3987/amds-radeon-6870-6850-renewing-competition-in-the-midrange-market/1
tongue.gif

I think his setup is fine other than that.  He is future proofing with the mobo as it has USB 3 and SATA 6 + crossfire ready.

No, your missing the point. Im saying that a quad core cpu performs very similiar to a dual core cpu in gaming so the op should get a dual core cpu instead of a quad core unless he wants to edit videos or render 3d models.

Until he wants to play an RTS game and then the quad core will blow the dual core away.  And now that games are being coded to utilize all 4 cores, a quad core is more futureproof.

It's a case of wanting performance now or wanting better performance for the future.

And for editing video and rendering, a workstation GPU is more important than the processor. RAM is almost good for video editing.  Yea, a quad core will help render things better in maya or c4d, but a workstation GPU is the backbone behind those tasks...

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #63 of 82
Well I'm still in need of a new monitor, so 1680x1050+. My budget is about $1200 australian dollars for the whole system, which is about USD$1189.

Note: Most of my gaming done on this system will be FPS.

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #64 of 82
I recommend a good IPS display mainly cause they look pretty. A decent 23" will set you back around 300 USD. Also a gaming mouse like the Logitech G9x or G500, though I've been playing FPS' (singleplayer) with the same half-working very old MS optical for three builds. 

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #65 of 82

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

CPU phenom II 555 be
GPU HD 6870
Mobo Gigabyte 770t ud3
PSU 600 watt
ram 4 gb

Hope I helped

tongue.gif

Until he wants to play an RTS game and then the quad core will blow the dual core away.  And now that games are being coded to utilize all 4 cores, a quad core is more futureproof.

It's a case of wanting performance now or wanting better performance for the future.

And for editing video and rendering, a workstation GPU is more important than the processor. RAM is almost good for video editing.  Yea, a quad core will help render things better in maya or c4d, but a workstation GPU is the backbone behind those tasks...

I was actually considering a six core, but at this stage I'm choosing the quad because it's more efficient (and cheaper). I know I am very new to PC hardware, but I'm not considering a duel-core processor.

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #66 of 82

Quote:
I recommend a good IPS display mainly cause they look pretty. A decent 23" will set you back around 300 USD. Also a gaming mouse like the Logitech G9x or G500, though I've been playing FPS' (singleplayer) with the same half-working very old MS optical for three builds. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I currently use the G500 mouse and a G110 keyboard, so I'm set for a keyboard and mouse. I'm typing this on a 19" LCD Asus, and it gets the job done, but in the future I'll be looking for something a bit bigger. I'm more concerned about the system at the moment, just look at these specs.

My $10 says your PC is better than mine.

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #67 of 82
^ Well for non-gaming purposes, that's a fairly adequate PC. :D My previous build was an AMD 3500 with 1GB of ram. I'm not a big PC gamer, I probably won't upgrade until the box dies since I have a 360 and wii now. 

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #68 of 82

Quote:
^ Well for non-gaming purposes, that's a fairly adequate PC. :D My previous build was an AMD 3500 with 1GB of ram. I'm not a big PC gamer, I probably won't upgrade until the box dies since I have a 360 and wii now. 

Would it be worth stripping the HDD and selling it on ebay? If so what do you think I'd get for it?

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #69 of 82
What kind of hard drive? I'm personally averse to second-hand HDDs unless it's barely used. New ones can be found faster, larger, and often times, cheaper so. 

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #71 of 82
Oh. No idea, but I wouldn't expect much for an e2200, 1GB of ram, and no video card. You're better off just keeping it as a backup or use it as a server or whatever it is people do. 

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #72 of 82

Quote:
Btw, what resolution are you going to game with? Whats your budget? You can take a look at this chart if you wanna compare gpu vs cpu performance on games but trust me, dont cheap on a gpu and cut your cpu cost down by getting a dual core cpu.

Don't get a dual core, that's old technology especially considering the quad cores have come down in price.

Dec 20, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #73 of 82
Ok, here's my advice: Do not get 8 Gb of RAM and do not get fast RAM. Get 4 Gb Value RAM from a reputable manufacturer like OCZ or Kingston. That should save you up to $100. The difference in performance between value RAM and high speed one is negligible for gaming - you will see a couple of FPS improvement at best in most cases. Now with faster RAM, you will be able to overclock your CPU a bit more, but since you are not an advanced user, I don't recommend overclocking much anyway. The 3.2 Ghz Phenom X4 is already adequate as a gaming processor for now. Also, do not buy an expensive case! What a waste of money IMO. Buy a cheap, generic one that has vents on the sides and on the back to ensure adequate airflow. It will be cheaper to add another fan or two to your case later if you will need better cooling. That will save you another $80+. Then use the money you save to get another Sapphire HD6850 for your Crossfire mobo and you'll have a killer gaming machine that will last you for at least another two years.

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #74 of 82

Case-
Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced with Window $129

Power Supply-
Silverstone Strider 850W $185

Motherboard-
Gigabyte GA-880G-UD3H $115

CPU-
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition $259

RAM-
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600mhz $109

HDD1-
Corsair Force 60GB SSD $159

HDD2-
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB $59

Disc Drive-
Samsung SH-S223C SATA DVD-RW $29

GPU-
2x Gigabyte Radeon HD6850 1GB Overclocked Edition $438

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #75 of 82

Quote:

Case-
Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced with Window $129

Power Supply-
Silverstone Strider 850W $185

Motherboard-
Gigabyte GA-880G-UD3H $115

CPU-
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition $259

RAM-
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600mhz $109

HDD1-
Corsair Force 60GB SSD $159

HDD2-
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB $59

Disc Drive-
Samsung SH-S223C SATA DVD-RW $29

GPU-
2x Gigabyte Radeon HD6850 1GB Overclocked Edition $438

Not gonna read the full thread but...

Don't spend that much on a mid tower. I have a Thermaltake V3, I got it for $30. It is fine. If you spend good money on a case it should be aluminium or full tower or portable not just meh.
PSU is fine, but I would recommend a Corsair PSU simply because they seem to make superior PSUs.
I wouldn't recommend getting an AMD hexacore. Intel's Sandy Bridge chips are coming out in January, get one of those.
I don't know much about SSD's but look into the OCZ Vertex 2. Not badly priced, great speeds.
It is dumb to get a Crossfire setup to start. Just get one powerful card and get a second one later. Not to mention more cards are coming out soon.

This is all IMO, don't flame. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back