Help With Gaming PC - To those with knowledge, I need your help!
Dec 19, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #17 of 82

Quote:
The reason I'm looking at Thermaltake's is because it's an Australian based company, it saves me having to import stuff.

What case would you suggest given my parts?

I edited it in my last post, sorry, I edit things a lot.

Coolermaster HAF - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160&cm_re=coolermaster_HAF-_-11-119-160-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119230&cm_re=coolermaster_HAF-_-11-119-230-_-Product - with side window.

Only 1 year warranty vs. 3 for Thermaltake but Coolermaster is pr0.

Dec 19, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #18 of 82
I have that case and I love it.  It's roomy and well organized.  I use it for an HTPC that's on 24/7 and it runs quiet and cool.

I don't like the mobo and the power supply.  Nvidia boards and ATI GPUs sometimes don't play well with each other.  Also, the quality of ECS boards is inconsistent but getting better.

Never go cheap with the power supply.  A bad PSU is potentially dangerous.  Stick with well-known, respected brands.

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #19 of 82
Okay I'm going to have to play my "first build" card again. What reputable brands make a 650-800w supply suitable for my setup?

Edit: I'm no longer getting the mobo shown in the first post.

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #20 of 82

Quote:
Okay I'm going to have to play my "first build" card again. What reputable brands make a 650-800w supply suitable for my setup?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005 - 650w
Probably the best for its price / performance ratio (whatever performance PSU's have =/)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010 - 750w little beefier

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #21 of 82

So this is what it's looking like now:

[size=9.0pt]Video Card -
[size=9.0pt]ATI Radeon HD5770[/size]

Case -

[size=10.0pt]Cooler Master HAF 932[/size]

[size=9.0pt]Motherboard –[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Asus M4A88TD EVO[/size]

[size=9.0pt]Power Supply -[/size]
Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V/EPS12V

Processor -

Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz Quad Core

Memory -
Corsair 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333MHz RAM

Hard Drive -
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB, 32MB Cache SATA 
II 3Gb/s

DVD Drive –
Pioneer DVR-219L 24X SATA DVD Black[/size]

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #22 of 82

Quote:

Corsair, I know they are known for memory, but their PSU's has been rock solid for me. Also I don't know if I mentioned this before. Don't be afraid to spend money on a case now,  it is an investment, even if you decide to upgrade five years from now, chances are you will be able to use the same case, like when I did 3 years ago with my Antec 900 till now. If you get two builds out of that case, its like the case cost you 50 dollars each time, whereas a cheaper 30 dollar case might not hold up as well if you move it around a lot and you'd just have to buy a new one when you build. You really do get what you pay for wiith cases, the one exception being the case I just built my brothers computer with, but sadly that case is discontinued. ATX has been around for awhile and will be around for awhile more yet. Nothing on that build looks overly weak to me.

Dec 19, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #23 of 82
Dec 19, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #24 of 82

Quote:
I own a low-level corsair, it's pretty rock solid. Not sure if it's been mentioned, but consider budgeting an uninterruptible power supply (think beefed up surge protector with battery backup) like this: http://www.amazon.com/APC-BACK-UPS-BE750G-10-Outlet-System/dp/B000Z80ICM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1292790393&sr=8-4.

Mine has saved my computer quite a few times. 

+1 for a UPS.

Sorry RedHaze, not trying to get you to spend all your money, just want to make sure you will be happy with your build for years to come 
beerchug.gif

Dec 19, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #26 of 82
If you do get a UPS, make sure you get one with Auto Shutdown software.  It will take away one USB port and the ethernet iirc, but it's a cool feature.  If you can't get to your computer and there's a power outage, it will automatically shut it down when there's x amount of time on the battery.  You can set the parameters of course on the UPS software which is nice.

Dec 19, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #27 of 82
The latest build looks good to me. The ASUS motherboard will prove to be more reliable than the ECS junk you originally spec'd and 800w was total overkill. 

Good choice on the CPU. You should be able to hit at least 3.8GHz on it should you choose to overclock- provided that you invest in a more powerful cooler like the Scythe Mugen II.

Also, I don't know what the deals are in Australia but Newegg has the more powerful 768MB Nvidia GTX 460 for the same price as the cheapest ATI 5770 after rebate. (Edit: =on&prod[4515]=on&prod[4571]=on]Here's a comparison between the 5770, 5830 and GTX 460. You'll find that the GTX 460 is roughly equivalent the the ATI 5830, a decent step up).

Dec 19, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #28 of 82
Is it really worth overclocking the processor? I would have to get it done professionally because I know I would stuff something up. What price would I be looking at for a UPS power supply (capable of powering the overclocked processor) + labor for overclocking?

Dec 19, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #29 of 82

Quote:
Is it really worth overclocking the processor? I would have to get it done professionally because I know I would stuff something up. What price would I be looking at for a UPS power supply (capable of powering the overclocked processor) + labor for overclocking?

OC'ing isn't necessary.  Plus you would need really good thermal paste, and a good CPU cooler.  A UPS wouldn't power an OC'ed machine for too long, but a normal computer is rated at like an hour I think with a 750w PSU.
http://blogs.amd.com/play/2009/04/22/overclocking-101-with-the-amd-phenom-ii-x4-955-black-edition-processor/
There's a basic OC'ing guide.

Dec 19, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #30 of 82

Quote:
Quote:

OC'ing isn't necessary.  Plus you would need really good thermal paste, and a good CPU cooler.  A UPS wouldn't power an OC'ed machine for too long, but a normal computer is rated at like an hour I think with a 750w PSU.
http://blogs.amd.com/play/2009/04/22/overclocking-101-with-the-amd-phenom-ii-x4-955-black-edition-processor/
There's a basic OC'ing guide.

Thanks for that. But yeah I think overclocking is a bit out of the question, especially when I'm trying not to break the budget (which I already have lol). I'll still go with a 650w UPS supply though, any suggestions on that? Or is a UPS a totally different unit to the power supply itself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back