Help with Gaming and Movie Headset
Nov 9, 2009 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Punisher

New Head-Fier
I am trying to find a headset that would work for Gaming (Xbox 360, PS3, PC). My only experience has been with the Astro A40s. I really liked the mixamp because you can connect to anything but the headphones lack base and I could not distinguish directional cues very well. I was really expecting home theater quality sound and feel that it was overpriced.

After searching through the forums I am now considering the following setup:

-Amplifier-
A40 MixAmp (for game consoles) $130
1. For PC- Disable Dolby and use as a regular Amp. (only because I have onboard sound)
2. For Console Gaming – Enable Dolby

Any thoughts about this? Are there any other Amps out there that allow connection to gaming consoles?

-Headphones-
1. Ultrasone HFI-780 ($212)
2. Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 ($276)
3. Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 ($85) Any thought on these? I read that they lack base but are well priced.
3. Sennheiser HD595 ($164) Any thoughts on these? Well priced. How is the base and audio positioning?

-Microphone-
Zalman Microphone Zm-Mic1 High Sensitivity ($15)

I am open to any suggestions. I am just throwing stuff out there as a starting point. I’m trying to keep it below $275 if possible so if I go with the AD-900 I will not be able to get an amp and my pc sound card is onboard sound (fake Creative X-FI). I can live without console gaming for a while (only buy console titles if they are not available for pc) and ditch the amp but if I go this high I am expecting home theater quality sound.

Thanks,

Punisher

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 25
I just wanted to add this information. For some reason I couldn't post it all in the same message (maybe it was too long).

Hear are some features that I am looking for:

1. Surround Sound- I am looking for good audio positioning.
2. Good base(punchy, tight).
3. Comfortable to wear and an open ear design is preferred but not required.
4. Connect to almost anything. If I am going to cough up close to $300 I will use it a lot.
5. Good Mic. Are there any good alternatives for the Zalman mic?
6. Home theater like sound.

I apologize for the poor audio descriptions but I literally have no experience with this.

Thanks,

Punisher

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 25
Just Give The beyerdynamic MMX 300 a try.

Surround sound is not necessary for positioning - you have only two ears and the positioning works great with a standard stereo headphone :wink:

Nov 11, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 25
Go for the Ad700 =, it is well worth the price.

I tried the freinds' AD900 and it is not worth the price differnce from the ad700.

All i really noticed is that the bass is a bit better, but not that much.

The AD700 will give you almost the same audio from the 900 for much less.

Save money and go for the 700's.

Nov 11, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 25
The ad700's are great headphones for gaming, but they lack just as much bass as the Astro A40 headset. If you want great bass impact and a headphone that works extremely well with Dolby Headphone (great spatial positioning and depth perception), i HIGHLY recommend the Beyer DT880 2005's.

Nov 12, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 25
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate all of your help. I was starting to seriously consider the AD700 until I got the comment about the A40s. Base was one of my main reasons for returning these in addition to poor audio positioning and price. Looking at the responses I am now leaning towards the DT880s. This brings up another series of questions.

-For Bayer DT880 2005 Edition-
Will I need an Amp for these? What is recommended?
Will the Astro MixAmp be sufficient? Are there any alternatives that can be connected to consoles?
Will a good sound card be sufficient? (Looking at the Creative X-Fi)
Is there a way to identify the 2005 Edition? I was looking in Amazon and there is no mention of 2005 in the description.

-Questions Regarding Surround Sound-
Knopfy talked about stereo being better than surround sound for audio positioning. Would I be able to identify targets 360 degrees using just stereo? What about above and below? How does the Creative X-Fi sound card effects compare to these two? (Should they also be disabled?)

Thanks,

Punisher

Nov 12, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate all of your help. I was starting to seriously consider the AD700 until I got the comment about the A40s. Base was one of my main reasons for returning these in addition to poor audio positioning and price. Looking at the responses I am now leaning towards the DT880s. This brings up another series of questions.

-For Bayer DT880 2005 Edition-
Will I need an Amp for these? What is recommended?
Will the Astro MixAmp be sufficient? Are there any alternatives that can be connected to consoles?
Will a good sound card be sufficient? (Looking at the Creative X-Fi)
Is there a way to identify the 2005 Edition? I was looking in Amazon and there is no mention of 2005 in the description.

-Questions Regarding Surround Sound-
Knopfy talked about stereo being better than surround sound for audio positioning. Would I be able to identify targets 360 degrees using just stereo? What about above and below? How does the Creative X-Fi sound card effects compare to these two? (Should they also be disabled?)

Thanks,

Punisher

1) No, you do not need an additional headphone amp. The MixAmp powers them sufficiently. I originally used my vhp2 headphone amp with the MixAmp, but then tried the MixAmp by it self with the DT880's and they work fine. I just use the DT880 and MixAmp now.

2) Not sure on the soundcard.

3) The 2005 DT880's look like this (pay attention to the headband and outer cups):
BD-DT880.jpg

4) Stereo is NOT better then Dolby Headphone (or any other GOOD DSP) for 3D positioning. With games in particular, and with stereo, there is only 2 channels for audio; left and right. No matter how you do it, sound will only be coming from 2 points (binaural recording withstanding, but that has never been used in games). With Dolby Headphone 5 channels of audio are being processed, giving 5 points of reference. That being said... DSP surround, by the nature it works via algorithms to produce surround, works better for some then others. Depending a number of variables, namely ear canal shape. Dolby Headphone works A LOT better for me. Much larger soundstage, speaker like, 3D sound placement and depth perception. Vertical sound positioning is entirely up to how the games audio is programmed- seeing as there is currently no speaker positioning that takes into account vertical audio.

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #10 of 25
Thanks for all the help. I think that I am going to go with the DT880s, mixamp and Zalman mic. I appreciate everyones help. I know that a lot of these topics are repeated constantly throughout the forum and can get annoying for regular forum members, but recommendations are usually all over the place. I guess it all depends on your sound preference. I am glad that you all took the time to help me out and answer my questions. Now I am on a mission to find a decent sound card that could run these on a pc but I will most likely post the question on the appropriate sound card forum.

Thanks,

Punisher

Nov 13, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

FWIR, I would go with the DT880/05 and amp it.

Do you suggest a desktop or portable amp? If so, what do you recommend that would not kill my pocket. I am already looking at:

DT880 $270
Astro MixAmp $130
Zalman Mic $15

sound card ~$170 (Future)

The current plan is to buy the DT880, Mic and MixAmp. The sound card will be a future purchase. Would the headset be underpowered if I go this route (I am concerned with the 250 ohm impendance of the headphones)? I know that I can connect the the MixAmp to my PC through SPDIF or analog connections. I was planning on putting the mixAmp between the pc and headset and disable the DH from the MixAmp in the hopes of using it as an amp (don't know if that would work). I would then let the onboard sound card ( Fake Creative X-Fi) control any surround (DH) features. For console gaming, I'll just use the mixAmp with DH enabled.

Does anyone know if this setup will work or have a better recommendation? Please keep in mind my original requirements (although I have already passed my budget
tongue_smile.gif
)

Thanks,

Punisher

Nov 14, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you suggest a desktop or portable amp? If so, what do you recommend that would not kill my pocket. I am already looking at:

DT880 $270
Astro MixAmp $130
Zalman Mic $15

sound card ~$170 (Future)

The current plan is to buy the DT880, Mic and MixAmp. The sound card will be a future purchase. Would the headset be underpowered if I go this route (I am concerned with the 250 ohm impendance of the headphones)? I know that I can connect the the MixAmp to my PC through SPDIF or analog connections. I was planning on putting the mixAmp between the pc and headset and disable the DH from the MixAmp in the hopes of using it as an amp (don't know if that would work). I would then let the onboard sound card ( Fake Creative X-Fi) control any surround (DH) features. For console gaming, I'll just use the mixAmp with DH enabled.

Does anyone know if this setup will work or have a better recommendation? Please keep in mind my original requirements (although I have already passed my budget
tongue_smile.gif
)

Thanks,

Punisher

I have the zalman clip mic, and do not like it. I also have the califone neck mic and a boom mic that i made specifically for the DT880's. I just got the modern warfare 2 throat mic and am loving it. Works perfectly for headphones.

Nov 14, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

I have the zalman clip mic, and do not like it. I also have the califone neck mic and a boom mic that i made specifically for the DT880's. I just got the modern warfare 2 throat mic and am loving it. Works perfectly for headphones.

Saw the MW2 mic and it looks cool but does it truly work as a throat mic(through vibration) or is it just made to look like it?

Another question that I had, did you have issues with the MixAmp powering the DT880? I am a little nervous about the 250 ohm impendance. Would there be any real benefit of getting a separate amp?

Thanks,

Punisher

Nov 14, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #15 of 25
I am in the same boat as the OP, and Ive decided to go with the Ultrasone HFI-780 for their great soundstage, sound, and bass. If I cant get my hands on them, then I will be picking up the AD700's.

Also getting the Zalman mic
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back