Help with Gain selection for PPA, Gilmore Lite
Aug 6, 2004 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Solude

Headphoneus Supremus
And then there were two
biggrin.gif
Anyway I will be using Beyer DT880 and would like 10 o'clock to be moderate volume ~70dB and 2 o'clock to be loud ~90dB. Am I looking at a gain of 5? 10? somewhere in the middle? Let me know.

Aug 6, 2004 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 13
I don't have any experience with the Beyers, but judging from the specs an educated guess would be a gain of about 4, with a standard CD source and quite dynamic material.

Aug 6, 2004 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 13
I used the dt 880's with the gilmore amps and a very high gain source. I think you will have a hard time getting exactly what your describing. The dt 880 with a lower gain like 4-5 goes so loud and just wont go any louder.Trying to go louder makes the amp sound strained. The dt 880 needs a gain of 7.5 or so IMO. However, then the 90 db figure will probably be reached around 1:00 or so. I am guessing here, because my player has a very high gain.The dt 880 is an absolute bear to drive. I had the five position gain switch on a v2-se and I found 7.5 or 10 to be best. I tried to use a gain of 5 and I really didnt get much more range on the volume pot. This headphone clearly sounds better with the higher gain.

Aug 6, 2004 at 1:11 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
(...)The dt 880 is an absolute bear to drive. I had the five position gain switch on a v2-se and I found 7.5 or 10 to be best. I tried to use a gain of 5 and I really didnt get much more range on the volume pot. This headphone clearly sounds better with the higher gain.

As I said, no personal experience with this phone on my side. Still one comment: note that a higher gain has nothing to do at all with more power (provided that you don't hit the end stop with the lower gain). The amp will run out of steam at the same level, just your volume knob will be in a different position.

Aug 6, 2004 at 1:37 PM Post #6 of 13
i think i should step in and mention that an amp's max 'power' is NOT determined by it's gain setting - that only allows you to choose how much you would rotate your pot before you attain a certain volume.

[size=xx-small]EDIT: damn, PeterR beat me to it. this is why you should press 'refresh' before replying to a thread you have open for some time.
frown.gif
[/size]

Aug 6, 2004 at 1:42 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
moderate volume ~70dB
loud volume ~90dB

this may be a horribly stupid question, but I thought as you got louder the dB lowered? At least that is the way it works on my wifes panasonic stereo... 40dB is fairly loud, 30dB is very loud and 20dB is too damn loud
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
this may be a horribly stupid question, but I thought as you got louder the dB lowered? At least that is the way it works on my wifes panasonic stereo... 40dB is fairly loud, 30dB is very loud and 20dB is too damn loud
biggrin.gif

If you consider dB SPL, as an example, where the reference (0dB) is the (conventional) human hearing threshold, the higher the dB value the louder is perceived sound.
In your stereo probably the reference value is the amplifier maximum output or something close: in that case -20dB is louder than, say, -30dB.

Aug 6, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
i think i should step in and mention that an amp's max 'power' is NOT determined by it's gain setting - that only allows you to choose how much you would rotate your pot before you attain a certain volume.

Fully aware of this. But at the same time it would be nice for a change to be able to use a good chunk of the pot for volume control instead of the first 90 degrees. With the E-Mu on it's -10dB setting on my speaker amp I can't get passed 9 o'clock without it being VERY loud. Use the E-Mu's +4dB setting instead and it's more like 8 o'clock. Given the bugger starts at 7 o'clock thats not a whole lot of room for minor changes. I'm hoping I can select a gain where I can actually dial in fine changes while not giving up coffee
blink.gif

I just talked with Justin at Headamp.com and it looks like the new Lite comes with a gain of 5 by default for this very reason.

Aug 6, 2004 at 5:47 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexm
If you consider dB SPL, as an example, where the reference (0dB) is the (conventional) human hearing threshold, the higher the dB value the louder is perceived sound.
In your stereo probably the reference value is the amplifier maximum output or something close: in that case -20dB is louder than, say, -30dB.

that makes sense, thanks for the explination
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
Fully aware of this. But at the same time it would be nice for a change to be able to use a good chunk of the pot for volume control instead of the first 90 degrees. With the E-Mu on it's -10dB setting on my speaker amp I can't get passed 9 o'clock without it being VERY loud. Use the E-Mu's +4dB setting instead and it's more like 8 o'clock. Given the bugger starts at 7 o'clock thats not a whole lot of room for minor changes. I'm hoping I can select a gain where I can actually dial in fine changes while not giving up coffee
blink.gif

I just talked with Justin at Headamp.com and it looks like the new Lite comes with a gain of 5 by default for this very reason.

ouch. i'm sorry to hear that.
blink.gif

fwiw, your experience reminds me of a situation i find myself in sometimes - my ms-2 does not go beyond 10 o'clock on my Classic while my k501 needs to be somewhere at 4-5 o'clock (ie nearly maxed out). gain was set at 6 for me. ah, the frustration of owning both a high and low sensitivity headphone.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back