help with frozen ipod... Itunes does not recognize it
Nov 1, 2008 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DunninLA

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. Long story short, we have/had? an unused 2nd gen ipod Nano 4gb in the house. My daughter downloaded a new iTunes for my wife last week, and put two of her favorite cds into iTunes to see how she like it. I've listened to the Nano several times this week and liked it alot.

I have been ripping cds into FLAC, and then coverting from FLAC into LAME mp3 V0, per another thread I posted and advice I got last weekend. I've got 40 cds ripped so far.

I asked earlier today here how to transfer these MP3s into iTunes so I could load onto my wife's Nano. I'm flying to NY tonight, and asked to borrow my wife's Nano for two days. Sure, no problem. I followed the advice I was given this morning here. In iTunes, I clicked on File, then "transfer Folder", then clicked on a folders which containes one CD. Repeat about 12 times so I have 12 cds loaded into iTunes. I click on the songs and they play fine on my Dell computer.

Now, I took my wife's Nano, connected it to iTunes via the USB port, and synced the two. In the middle of the download is asked it I wanted to update the Nano, and I said yes. the syning stopped for about a minute, then continued. After about 5 minutes, about 1.2G of songs had transferred from iTunes onto the Nano. It said it was done, so I disconnected from the USB cable.

then, I selected a song... one from a Telarc Collection cd, and hit play. it played, but there was no sound. I was using the same little panasonic earbuds I had been using earlier on this Nano. I hit a few buttons, and then it stopped responding.. It's FROZEN. I handed it to my daughter, who reconnected it to the Dell computer via USB, and the iTunes doesn't recognize it now.

I can open iTunes, start playing a song, and connect the Nano. windows gives me that "divice connected" gong sound, but the syncing window doesn't come up. After the song completes, iTunes keeps playing , but it won't respond to the mouse anymore. It keeps playing but will not respond to anything else. I have to crash out of it with Control-ALT-DEL task manager, which says iTunes is "unresponsive".

My daughter's iTunes on another computer doesn't recognize the Nano eithre when she tries to sync to it.

I've relaunched iTunes three times now with the same result. With the Nano attached, it becomes unresponsive.

what did I do wrong? How do I fix this frozen Nano? I am currently uninstalling iTunes and will reinstall it in a few minutes.

Nov 2, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 10
I loaded iTunes again.

I loaded a couple of cds into it from my hard drive. They work fine.

I connect the Nano and get the connection bong, but nothing else.

inside Itunes, I go to HELP, then Run Diagnostics. It says everything is fine except:

"OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller. Device is working properly.
Most Recent Device Not Currently Connected:
iPod nano (Second Generation) running firmware version 1.1.3
Serial Number:YM6446***** (***** are mine, not sure it's wise to publish my serial #
smily_headphones1.gif
)
**** iPhone/iPod Touch Sync Tests ****
No iPhone or iPod found."

As long as the Nano is connected iTunes become unresponsive. As soon as I disconnect the Nano, ir becomes functional again (without restarting).

Nov 2, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 10
Force restart the iPod.
Click and hold the ‘Menu’ and ‘Play’ buttons for five seconds. Then connect it to the computer again..

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 10
krmathis... thanks I missed your post. Somehow while I was in NY, my daughter resynced the Nano and fixed it. I think it ran out of battery first.

I suspect the problem was that I dragged over folders that included both FLAC and MP3 encoded versions of each song on an album. Only the MP3 showed up on the iTunes display, but it could have messed it up somehow. I now have all my cds in FLAC and the LAME Mp3 V0 converson stored separately.

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 10
Glad she got it all running again.
Letting it run out of battery does the trick as well, but may take some time.. he he

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #10 of 10
if you hold down menu and select at the same time for a few seconds until the screen goes black then as soon as it does that, switch to holding down the select and play buttons this will put it into disk mode. its really handy if something goes wrong with the itunes software because this mode is in the firmware and should work unless something terminal has happened. you can do this while it is plugged in and if it isn't not that I can think of a reason to do it without usb plugged in unless you have rockbox installed; but thats another story
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back