Help with first purchase, less than $500
Sep 11, 2009 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

markdjr

New Head-Fier
I have been going over the site and feel like I could spend forever pouring over details and trying to compare cans I'll never really be able to compare, since I can't hear them. That being said, if someone would be kind enough to recommend I'd appreciate it. I can spend around $500, maybe a little more since I figure I need an amp too. I usually like to buy used, so if there was a pair in the classifieds here from a reputable seller or an ebay link that would be great. I listen to rap (not the nasty stuff though) a lot, so I'd like a decent bass response, but I'm really interested in catching the midrange, the background instrumentation. I'd like to be able to use it with my iphone, computer, etc.. I also have some Westone UM2 earphones that I have been using without an amp, so if I could get an amp that worked well with both that would be sweet. Thanks for any help.

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 6
Concentrate in finding a dealer who will allow you to buy headphones with a no-cost to you return policy, aka not stocking fee. Try a variety of headphones based on your own research. Example, HeadRoom will allow you to try a headphone for 30 days and can return and they won't charge a stocking fee and not return your money via an annoying store credit. Best way to find headphones is to try them yourself. Also check to see if there are any head-fi meets near you soon. There is forum for arranging head-fi mini-meets here.

Good luck.

Sep 11, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the quick response. I will use a variety of sound cards, mostly iphone though. I would like to keep total equipment cost under $600, but if there was a significant jump in quality I could go a little higher.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 6
With a $600 total budget, you can afford a better source / amp than what $100 can buy. So you're best use of $600 likely could be buying less expensive headphones for use with a more expensive source / amp.

FWIR...

I suggest considering the K701 IF you can determine a source / amp or USB DAC / amp that is within your budget that promises to work well with it.

The EF2 has recently been recommended for use with the K701. I'm not so sure if this would be the best choice given your budget. But pairing very nice headphones with an adequate source / DAC and amplification is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back