Help with first headphone purchase
Oct 8, 2012 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mafia1245

New Head-Fier
complete newbie here when it comes to headphones. Looking to upgrade from the pair apple give you and have tried beats for a while (30 mins) and found them way to bass heavy for me. I have been reading forums and other sites and think i have it down to 3 but not sure which would be best. From what i have read lots of people praise sennheiser headphones but every pair that i see look like crap (i know this shouldn't matter but quality design factors in for me).

1.Grado SR80i
2.RHA SA950i
3.AKG K240 studio

Music genres: I'd say 80% pop/indie rock (killers/shins/hold steady/decemberist/awolnation/neon indian), 15% oldies/rock 60's-80's like Paul Simon/janis joplin. 10% hiphop (jayz eminem  No classical or metal.
Portable: yes (airplaine and biking/walking). will be used with iPhone 95% of the time (inline mic for calls would be great)
Price range: 150, but really trying for under 100. 
Amped: i dont know what that means but probably no if its paired with iPhone.
Headphone preference: over the ears. I am not an audiophile by any means. I want to listen and enjoy the music, apple earbuds dont really bother me but i want to get something a bit better and i know beats are not for me either. Thanks

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 3
Well, what's done is done so let's just go with it. 

I don't own the Grado, but I have an AKG K240 Studio and I'll be getting my hands on an RHA SA950i review sample.

What I can tell you so far is that the K240 Studio is going to sound absolutely brilliant for what you listen to (well, except for the hip hop).  HOWEVER, the fact that they are open and not good for portable use is going to kill it for your intended purpose.

Matter of fact, the Grado is also open.  That pretty much leaves the SA950i out of that list.  I'm getting a review sample, and I'd be happy to give you some impressions soon if you're still interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back