Help with Ety ER-6i
Jan 30, 2009 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

hyperreal

New Head-Fier
This is my first pair of IEMs so it might be a noob mistake but I can't seem to get these things to seal exactly the same way in both ears every time on the first try. I always pull up on my ear and push them in until they are in as far as they will comfortably go then let go of my ear. They seal, but the seal will be slightly different in each ear. I know they are sealing because the bass is unaffected and sounds fine, but the imaging will be totally skewed to one side (most often the left side). I end up having to fiddle with them and re-insert them numerous times to get everything to line up. I put some pink noise or a mono recording through them when I do this so that I can know when the center image is locked in. All is well and good when I do this except: 1. It's a major PITA!! 2. Over time the seal will change and the image will drift (usually to the left). What am I doing wrong!?

Jan 30, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 8
Which tips are you using? Sometimes when I use silicone tips with any IEM I create too much air pressure in one or both ears that can cause an imbalance much like what you describe.

Jan 30, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 8
I just got my RE2s today and I'm experiencing something similar, it doesn't feel like both ears are getting sealed or sealed the same with the large biflanges that came with it. I can't really tell if the balance is off or not, its either not that significant or my ears aren't sensitive enough.

I did notice after putting them in for the first time and taking them out my right ear had some ringing in it. I almost want to use a small in my right ear and large in my left, right now I feel like im not hearing anything from the right with my IEMs in even though its playing.

Jan 31, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 8
For some tips I need to use a small one in my left and a medium tip in my right canals to get a similar seal. If you are using 'flanges, try foamies or something that doesn't need to go in so far and create so much pressure.

Jan 31, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 8
It's very likely that your ear canals are of different dimensions, because I am sure mine are after buying ER6i's and finding that each ear does seal differently regardless of the tip used.

I can't use the Ety flanged tips at all in either ear, no matter what size, how deep or shallow, how I pull up on the outer ear, etc. etc. they simply will not seal (and I have worn hearing protection for nearly 30 years in industry, so I do know how to insert flanged plugs to get a seal!)

IMHO, the elastomer from which the Ety tips are formed is much too stiff, and the tips are both too narrow and too long for my ear canals....or my ear canals are too shallow and too wide for Ety tips, take your pick!

As a result, I have tried tips from various other IEM's, including some from my Klipsch Custom 1's and Comply tips. I have settled on Comply T-100 tips as the best choice overall, but my left ear always seals more rapidly and easily than my right. With my Klipsch IEM's, I had debated whether I should use one medium and one large single-flange tip for some time and ended up using two large, even though the large tip seems to "feel big" inside my left ear.

If I were you, I'd definitely try some Complys or alternate tips.

Jan 31, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #6 of 8
Also consider some of etymotic's new glider eartips, I rarely get a good left-right balance with triflanges but no issues and better isolation + comfort with the gliders. However, they wear out quickly. I have stuck to Ety small biflanges for long life.

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 8
This is odd, now it feels lke im hearing my right ear better, what the hell. My right ear canal is more shallow than my left, I guess the smaller flanges are sealing better in my right now. Comply tips seem awfully expensive for disposable pieces of foam.

But my RE2s do sound so much better after 14 hours of pink noise.

Jan 31, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 8
Try to put both in at the same time, your body is able to sync exact left and right hand movements pretty easily, meaning using this method you should be able to get an identical seal.

So if you need to pull up your ear with one hand and insert the earphone with the other, change it. Try lifting your ear canal using your middle and ring fingers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back