Help with earphones
Aug 8, 2010 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

bag3lbit3s

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I've got a pair of Shure E2C's that I've had for over 2 years that I use primarily for sports/gym. My newer Shure's get babied. They've been great but they're finally on their last leg. I get connection problems with the left earphone. I originally thought it was the plug, so I soldered on a new one. After fixing that I realized it wasn't that. So I thought it was the splitter, tore that apart so that it's just a bare PC board, resoldered all the connections and still a problem. So my next guess was the wiring itself. Decided to mount the wire using clamps so that the wire wouldn't move. I moved the wire in sections till I pinpointed the problem which is inbetween the plug and the splitter which should be an easy fix. My guess is the epoxy covering the wire is giving way.

So I need to replace the wire up to the splitter section with something new. I know it should be pretty easy, but I'm not sure what type of wire would be appropriate for replacing the wire. Also what type of wrapping or insulation would you recommend? I don't plan on replacing all the wiring, just from the plug up to the splitter. There's the three basic wires, the bare copper ground, then two insulated wires for the left and right channel. Here's a pic of what I've got so far. I really don't want to spend a fortune on these fixing them, but would like them to be nice. Once finished I'm also thinking hot glue gunning the splitter section for added rigidity, then heat shrinking over that. Or another idea was to just eliminate that PCB all together, solder blue to blue, red to red, then the three common ground wires. Would that be a bad idea or am I better off just leaving the PCB?

The splitter:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/m_0r30/IMG_9987.jpg
The new plug and splitter:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/m_0r30/IMG_9985.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #2 of 2
[size=medium]That looks pretty messy. I would be a bit concerned about this problem reoccurring if this happened just by standard usage. [/size]

[size=medium]You can buy a new plug off the internet that has cables readily attached. They do not cost much but they will be colour coded and the correct wire for you. Then just solder it to the splitter or take the PCB out and solder the wires and heat shrink it. This will probably give the strongest and best quality result.[/size]

[size=medium]You can pick new cables up like that from mouser.com but the postage can be pretty heavy. [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back