Help with EAC and ripping CDs
Apr 21, 2003 at 10:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

NewSc2

500+ Head-Fier
I'm currently using EAC and the newest Lame to rip my CDs into mp3's @ 256kbps.

What's come up a couple times, is that CDs that are listenable in my CD player comes up with significant errors when I'm trying to rip them to EAC. With a few of these CDs, no scratch marks are visible, and with 1 CD set, it was completely new (first thing I did after open it was stick it into the CD-ROM to rip).

Is there anything I can do with EAC to make it overlook a small error, or possibly use a different program that isn't as sensitive? (I would use EAC mainly, but I'd want a 2nd ripping program for the hard to rip CDs)

Edit: Basically, what's a less sensitive CD ripper than EAC? EAC's had a hard time ripping some of my more-worn CDs

Apr 21, 2003 at 10:40 AM Post #2 of 12
hmm, seems like you have to play around with some ripping-settings, because I don't have that problem at all...

Apr 21, 2003 at 10:49 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by dMoog
hmm, seems like you have to play around with some ripping-settings, because I don't have that problem at all...

even with your more scratched up CDs? I don't get this error at all with new CDs, but maybe one out of every 3 of my used CDs

Apr 21, 2003 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 12
You could also rip with EAC after you disable the option "allow speed reduction during extraction" - in "drive options" go to "offset/speed". On my Philips it doesn't work - enabled or not, the speed decreses on difficult to rip passages down to 0.1x sometimes, but maybe with your burner it will work. Or rip in burst mode, the option is in "drive options", "extraction method". Don't forget to close the program after changing the settings! Anyway, use the glitch removal function in the wave editor ("process wav") after ripping in burst mode, and even the pop detection function if you consider necessary (for pop detection select a sensitivity of at least 14 - 16 db, otherwise it will find tons of unhearable pops).
I also found EAC to be quite sensitive, but reacted like this only with visibly scratched CDs. Is it possible that your reader is not doing its job as it should?
I have no experience with other ripping programs.

Apr 21, 2003 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Don Quichotte
You could also rip with EAC after you disable the option "allow speed reduction during extraction" - in "drive options" go to "offset/speed". On my Philips it doesn't work - enabled or not, the speed decreses on difficult to rip passages down to 0.1x sometimes, but maybe with your burner it will work. Or rip in burst mode, the option is in "drive options", "extraction method". Don't forget to close the program after changing the settings! Anyway, use the glitch removal function in the wave editor ("process wav") after ripping in burst mode, and even the pop detection function if you consider necessary (for pop detection select a sensitivity of at least 14 - 16 db, otherwise it will find tons of unhearable pops).
I also found EAC to be quite sensitive, but reacted like this only with visibly scratched CDs. Is it possible that your reader is not doing its job as it should?
I have no experience with other ripping programs.

"allow speed reduction" didn't work on my Plextor

"burst mode" did, however. How do you get to the Glitch Removal Function? The MP3's sounded fine, without any blips or anything.

I trust my Plextor more than I trust EAC
smily_headphones1.gif
I've never had a problem with my Plextor, reading or writing, except with EAC, so I don't think it's my drive.

Apr 22, 2003 at 12:27 AM Post #8 of 12
That's weird. Is it possible that there is a form of copy-protection on the disc?

I only encountered that kind of problem when I tried copying original game CDs.

You could try Audiograbber. It seems to hammer through any errors - but I've found it caused skips on the resulting MP3's from scratched discs.
mad.gif

Apr 22, 2003 at 2:15 AM Post #10 of 12
I've had occasional problems reading tracks with EAC in secure mode, on disks with no apparent major scratches. I believe if you put EAC in burst mode it turns off all error-checking and just plows on through. Same thing a CD player would do. If there are no apparent skips or pops, and assuming you're not a purist, you're done.

I wouldn't use burst mode all of the time, but for the occasional track that EAC can't read in secure mode, I figure what the heck
tongue.gif
. Good enough for me.

Apr 22, 2003 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 12
Is it possible there is something wrong with your CD-ROM drive (dirty, misaligned)?

Apr 22, 2003 at 3:35 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by chillysalsa
And NewSc2, please post a hi-res version of your avatar if that is the eye-candy it seems to be.
biggrin.gif

It's actually an icon for a vidclip of T.A.T.U.
smily_headphones1.gif

Found it on this headphone fetish site (it's a clean site, has a bunch of wallpapers and such)

I also have a Kylie picture, but when shrunk down I thought the T.A.T.U. one looked better
smily_headphones1.gif

http://headphet.hopto.org/index.shtml

Users who are viewing this thread

Back