Help with DSL-710A optical drive
Feb 10, 2024 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

anoobis

500+ Head-Fier
Hoping the electronics DIYers here may be able to help with a repair. I'm pretty good at taking things apart, fixing, not so much!

So after taking apart a DVD player four or five times in an attempt to spot anything amiss causing an awful vibration/rattling sound, I now have a strong suspicion as to what the problem is and, obviously, that I didn't really need to take the thing apart.

AFAIK there are several versions of this drive, this one has a black 'arm' over the top on one side.

dslavf.jpg

Underneath the plastic cover is a metal arm with a 'floating' ring surrounding a spindle (for want of a better word). You can just make out black plastic clips on the inner part. These attach a 'wireframe' plate on the underside, which sits on top of the loaded disc. I believe the central part is magnetically attached to the spindle motor when spinning.

IMG_20240208_190439r.jpg

If I've got this right, with the central part attached to the spindle motor and spinning, the outer ring should be slightly separated by being held a little lower (I can't envision exactly how this works). There is a spring under the arm close to the circle. By trial and error, prodding down the metal arm at various points changes the separation of the ring and spindle. It does look as though the noise is being caused by these parts scraping and that in normal operation this shouldn't happen. My best guess is therefore that the spring isn't tight enough, presumably it should be pulling the arm down? Obviously I can't see what's happening with the black cover back on.

Any ideas on how to tighten a spring, or what I could try to fix the issue? Hopefully you can just about see the spring here.

IMG_20240208_190548r.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back