Help With DIY Headphone Case/Stand
Mar 25, 2012 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Bassix

100+ Head-Fier
I've been trying to think of nice headphone cases I could do, but I'm not sure what specifically to DO. I was thinking about buying a small suitcase or make a nice wooden box with a dark cherry finish, and putting a block of wood inside of it, and carving spaces out for my headphones, amp, cables, and leave space for future headphones and such. Not sure how I'd carve out the spaces for them though. Any ideas?

Also, I would just like ideas for a nice wooden headphone stand that displays ATH-M50's well (I know not the best headphone, sort of mainstream, but they are good IMO) I just would like to have a place to put them instead of just throwing them on a shelf >_<

Help would be appreciated,

Nate~

Mar 26, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 3
try foams for the case? because if the headphone rattles in the case.. the wood might and probably will mar the surface of your headphones, unless you pad the edges with pleather or leather (the only materials fit wood IMO). I would place your earphone on the wood you want to cut and use charcoal to draw out the area you want to cut.. and perfect them, then cut it using whichever machine you see fit.. and there are lots of machines that can do the job... It sure will look nice....

lots of ideas in the DIY stand thread... you should go check it out..

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 3
if you know some work with Woodworking and carpentry.

you would possibly need a wood-knife. and Fine grit Sandpaper (in case you get those little dips in wood)

grab your wood case, and Cans, trace out the shape of the cans for the wood box.

and start carving out some wood.

(Dont forget to measure how deep you want)

when your done and satisfied, start sanding the carved edges down till you get a nice smooth feel.
then start touching up with wood glaze, make it shine. that nice Grado luxury look.

now for the stand, you can come up with anything, as long as it has:
Base, Leg, and Peg(for headphones)

now i think a matching colour of Black for the wood may seem nice for M50's
but the Stand may like a nice modern, artistic look. in my opinion.

take reference to this near-by thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/83606/show-me-your-headphone-stands-displays

Users who are viewing this thread

Back