Help with deciding what to do!!!
Aug 27, 2015 at 11:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Copyright

100+ Head-Fier
Recently upgraded my old Klipsche speakers to a set of JBL LSR305 monitors and an Outlaw Audio M8 sub.  My headphones are Denon AHD2000 with a Zynzonix recable.  Right now everything is driven by my Creative ZXR but I am looking to step up to either a better sound card if htey make one or a DAC that can drive everything.  Most DAC's I have found with headphones amps don't seem to have any subwoofer output on them.  I guess my option would be to use balanced outputs to my monitors and then unbalanced (if the DAC has them) to the sub?  Which way should I go and which products do you guys recommend?  Not trying to break the bank but maybe $600 or so?

Aug 27, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 32
I don't see any explicit reason to replace the ZxR - it is top-tier as a soundcard, and measures very well even against more expensive DACs. It is a fine source component. As far as hooking up to something externally, you wouldn't want to hook the sub up to line-outputs. You'd need to send some sort of pre-amp'd signal into it. You could do that with splitters from the ZxR if you really wanted.

Something like this would work for what you want. You could either use the ZxR's analog outputs or send digital out to it. Really either would work.

Alternately you could go with a hi-fi pre-amp that does subwoofer output, like this.

OFC also look at used gear - there's plenty of older HT pre/pro devices that will do 2.1 from digital and work for what you need, and may be available for peanuts because they don't have the latest HDMI whizbang feature.

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 32
Yeah. Unless you are hearing audible noise through your sound card with your headphones when it's not playing music, then probably not much benefit in upgrading. Save your money for more music :)

Aug 28, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #5 of 32
Well for some reason I am getting crazy noise with these new speakers.. it might be the way I wired them.. using 1/4" to RCA adapter then using RCA cables to sound card.  When I go into a game it's like its picking up noise from my video card.  I have some Mogami XLR to RCA cables (no little adapter) coming that cost about 100$ for the pair and I believe use a pro grade cable.  If this doesn't fix the noise I will need to look at other solutions.  My prevoius speakers did not have noise at all but the new JBL LSR305 are picking up all kinds.  I am also going to route my wires through hooks to keep htem away from power.  If this does not fix what DAC/headphone amp with subwoofer out options are there?  Honestly I have about a week to figure this out.. joining accounts with my wife and my funds will be watched after that!  Help a guy out!  lol

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #6 of 32
I provided you with an example of a DAC that will also provide 2.1 (or greater) output, and a headphone amp (and the ZxR is still a headphone amp as well, unless that is noisy too, in which case I would suspect something is wrong with the card or your machine in general). As far as what you're experiencing, it sounds more likely that you've created a ground loop or some other cabling problem with your SE to balanced wire conversion. :xf_eek:

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #7 of 32
I provided you with an example of a DAC that will also provide 2.1 (or greater) output, and a headphone amp (and the ZxR is still a headphone amp as well, unless that is noisy too, in which case I would suspect something is wrong with the card or your machine in general). As far as what you're experiencing, it sounds more likely that you've created a ground loop or some other cabling problem with your SE to balanced wire conversion.
redface.gif

Looking for something a little more compact and desktop size friendly.  As far as a ground loop I'm not sure why these are having problems but I guess it's possible.  There isn't much to these adapters but Mogami cables come in tomorrow.  These are hte cables I will be trying...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LNN2GE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #12 of 32
Well, even if you end up going with an external box, you can still use the soundcard as a digital source and retain all of its features.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thinking if cables don't work I may try this... http://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/ci-2rr/

Used one of these in the past to fix a ground loop in a car that was using the factory radio with an aftermarket DSP.  Worked very well.

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #13 of 32
That may work - but the issue may not explicitly be a ground loop. It may just be bad quality adapters/cabling that you've used. Without swapping the cables it's tough to say. If the new cables do the same thing I'd be inclined to think ground loop, and a transformer is a cheap way to test that (alternately if you unhook the cables from PC to speaker, unless the speakers auto-mute, it would test if the noise goes away upon the signal being broken).

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #14 of 32
Before you do anything else, definitely read up on ground loop problems and try the easy solutions. For example, is everything plugged into the same outlet? You can also try a cheater plug. They are very inexpensive (try Walmart), although you may or may not want to use it long term (there is a reason that audio equipment uses a ground).

Next, graphics cards can sometimes create noise problems when running full tilt in a video game. Although I would think you would also hear the noise with your headphones, not just the speakers.

I'd cancel the $100 cable order. You shouldn't need to spend that much money for better shielded cables, if that is your problem. Don't throw money at a problem. Diagnose first :)

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #15 of 32
Before you do anything else, definitely read up on ground loop problems and try the easy solutions. For example, is everything plugged into the same outlet? You can also try a cheater plug. They are very inexpensive (try Walmart), although you may or may not want to use it long term (there is a reason that audio equipment uses a ground).

Next, graphics cards can sometimes create noise problems when running full tilt in a video game. Although I would think you would also hear the noise with your headphones, not just the speakers.

I'd cancel the $100 cable order. You shouldn't need to spend that much money for better shielded cables, if that is your problem. Don't throw money at a problem. Diagnose first
smily_headphones1.gif

I had ordered the cables before I even had the speakers. I know the way it's hooked up now is probably the worst method available.  I am a big believer in cables after doing IASCA SQ comps for years I have learned a few things but mostly car audio.  I am going to try the new cables especially since they use an XLR to RCA method and no adapter in between.  I actually have a new power supply on the way as well for my PC but the one I have in my PC currently is a Seasonic X750 which is pretty dang good.  The new power supply is a Super Flower built Sliencer MK III 1200W.  I have a cheap ground loop isolator laying around I can throw inline just to see if it makes a difference.  The Jensen is on another level though compared to my 15$ isolator.  

Just an FYI.. if I unhook the source from each monitor all noise goes away other than a very very light hiss that I have to put my ear to hte tweeter to hear.  This is normal for these speakers.  The rest of the noise is not normal at all.  I can hear the noise change pitch when I move my mouse over objects in internet explorer lol.  Overall it's not overally bad but when I go into a game it gets REAL REAL BAD... Can't play Call of duty at all.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back