Help with computer music setup - Focal, Wadia, PeachTree
Jan 18, 2012 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

mk2012

New Head-Fier

Hi all,

I need your help.

I decided that's its time that I'll get my laptop music in order as I am spending much time in front of my computer.I am ashamed to admit, but I currently use either my laptop (macbook air) speakers or my Bose Noise Canceling headphones that are connected directly to the headphone jack.

What I'm considering:

- The Focal XS -  Simple design. no dekstop mess. However, I wasn't able to find a pair to demo. 

- Aktimate Mini - Simple design, no need to mess with separates. However, I wasn't blown away with performance, and I felt like I'll have to buy a DAC eventually.

- Passive Speakers + Integrated Amp/Dac - This is where things get interesting. After hearing the amazing Kef R100, I decided that this might be the best way to get a great system that will last longer. 

So here is my question: assuming that I am willing to spend upto $1500 (but will surly like to spend less), which way would you recommend?

I can buy the Wadia 151 for $800, which would leave ~$700 for a set of speakers. What I don't like about the Wadia is the fact that it does not have an headphone jack, nor does it come with an ipod doc, which might prove valuable.

For the same price I can buy the iDecco, which seems to provide the two missing pieces, and from what I saw it got great reviews overall.

Finally, there's also the Peachtree MusicBox, which is $600. Other than the cheaper cost, the MusicBox has a smaller footprint which is a positive. However, it appears that it has a weaker amp / components, so I am heaving hard time deciding if the $200 in saving is a good tradeoff.

What would you guys suggest? In a near field setting, and paired with a good bookcase speakers which system offers the best value for money? It will only be used for music listening coming from my computer/ipod doc. 

I'd also appreciate hearing which speakers would be a good choice to compliment the setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back