help with cmoy pot and jacks
Feb 14, 2005 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Testament

New Head-Fier
okae i got everything on the pvb connected, but...
i don't know how to connect my pot and audio jack...
any help?
i've looked at schematics, but they just confuse me more...

Feb 14, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 17
On a headphone 1/8 plug, there are two bands. The tip carries the left channel, between the band is right, and the rest of the shaft is the ground. Depending on the jacks you're using, you can actually see which part touches which parts of the jack and follow the metal to the appropriate hook-up tab. If not, give us a part number...

As far as the potentiometer, are you using the recommended Panasonic?

Feb 15, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 17
yeah i am using the panasonic pot...
and the radioshack jacks that are clear on the top, they show which tips touch the right left and ground...
but where do i connect the ground that comes out of the panasonic pot and are the left connected and...
is the ground connected to two points on the pot, or two seperate wires connected to the two points that connect to the board at two points...
and the diagram shows only on jack, how do i connect the other one...
sorry for so many questions but i wanna do this right...
thanks...

Feb 15, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Testament
yeah i am using the panasonic pot...
and the radioshack jacks that are clear on the top, they show which tips touch the right left and ground...
but where do i connect the ground that comes out of the panasonic pot and are the left connected and...
is the ground connected to two points on the pot, or two seperate wires connected to the two points that connect to the board at two points...
and the diagram shows only on jack, how do i connect the other one...
sorry for so many questions but i wanna do this right...
thanks...

grounds go to the middle columns on the board (assuming that you're using the 150 board)

the second jack is connected very similarly, except the wires go to input or output L/R on the board.. whichever you didn't already use.

the rest of your questions i can't quite decipher?

Feb 15, 2005 at 12:47 PM Post #7 of 17
You do not have to have two separate wires for each of the two ground pins on the pot. If you want, you can bend those two pins close to each other and solder one wire to them. Actually, I personally think this makes it much easier to wire the other four pins because you have a little more space.

Assuming you're using the 0150 board, you tie all of your grounds to someplace on the two middle columns.

Feb 15, 2005 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 17
okae so the ground wire attaches itself to one of the holes in the ground column?
Got it...

Now the diagram on the link shows the left channel a little distorted... is that line connected to the ground wires or no?

Do I also ground teh wires from the audio jacks?
Thanks for the help...

Feb 15, 2005 at 2:50 PM Post #9 of 17
Never allow a ground wire to touch a left or right channel hookup. If you do, you'll get one of several results, the most likely that you'll get no amplification and the sound will suck.

Yes, ground the in and out jacks, so each in and out jack have three wires coming from them (L,R,G).

Feb 15, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #10 of 17
okae so i connected everything except the pot and the map works but sound ugly when i put the sound on the iriver past 20
40 is the highest...
how do i fix this?
does the pot fix it?
how do i wire the pot to the jacks and then to the board?

Feb 16, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #13 of 17
Well, if it has a Line Out jack, use that instead of the headphone jack on it. If it does not, then don't even use a potentiometer with your amp. Two volume controls makes no sense, and can distort the sound considerably.

Feb 16, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyloch
Well, if it has a Line Out jack, use that instead of the headphone jack on it. If it does not, then don't even use a potentiometer with your amp. Two volume controls makes no sense, and can distort the sound considerably.

i never knew that.

what if u had the volume very low, and used the amp as a volume control ? is that fine ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back