Help with closed-back headphones for classical music
Oct 20, 2022 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Tudorsound

New Head-Fier
hello
I am drowning in research and getting more and more confused! I'm looking for some closed-back (some noise in adjacent rooms) head phones to listen to classical music (early, choir, piano, harp, opera, orchestral, etc) at home. Tried the Bowers Wilkins PX7 S2 with high hopes but did not like them much.

Now looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X, or the 770 maybe? Or should I stick to consumer headphones like Sennheiser Momentum and Sony? Reviewers talk more about the noise cancellation than the sound quality for those!

I'd love some advice and suggestions. No shop nearby to try anything and a little reluctant to keep on ordering and returning.....
Thanks so much.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 14
Perhaps the Focal Elegia. I've only heard it briefly but the impressions thread would be a good place to look into it.

Oct 21, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #5 of 14
Without an amplifier, the AKG K371Pro is really nice out of the box. Not the wireless version though, that sounded tuned more for battery life, not as good as the wired. I'd only get the DT770 if you get an amplifier since the 250 ohm sounds much nicer than the 32 ohm one.
I'd vote too for the Focal Elegia if you get them on sale at Adorama from their mailing list sale for $349. The K371pro is the value for the money winner though.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #8 of 14
Oct 31, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #10 of 14
Nobody on the internet complains about the Elegia's being big and wide so wondering if the ones I tried in the shop were stretched wide or just a faulty pair. Didn't listen to the sound as could hardly keep them on my head. So maybe I should try them elsewhere.... or just order and return (if necessary). So far my shortlist is Focal Elegia, Beyerdynamic 700 Pro X and Sennheiser 660S (open back). Would be costly to order and compare them all (and return the 'losers') but no local shop has these...
Does it not matter Elegia is discontinued and so an 'old' model?

Oct 31, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #11 of 14
I didn't notice that you are in the UK. The Adorama bargain price might not be applicable there. '

Discontinued can mean a lot of things: not profitable enough, availability of materials changed, company is just fidgeting with its lineup, some exec's nephew didn't like the way they looked.

Elegia was introduced in 2018 so it's not like it's ancient technology. Again, though, I have not tried them personally.

What you do have to watch out for with discontinued stuff is return policy. Make sure it's not some "final sale."

Nov 1, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #12 of 14
No worries. UK indeed.
been reading and watching reviews of the new Focal Bathys.... a lot more than I was planning to spend, but does sound (read) good... tempted to try and just not look at the cost

Nov 1, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #13 of 14
Do you need wireless and noise cancelling? Those are adding considerably to the cost, probably with no improvement to the sound. And if you're in that price bracket there may be other worthy contenders.

Nov 1, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #14 of 14
I want some noise isolation (noisy tv next door), so closed back or noise cancelling. Wireless would be a little extra but mostly want wired high-res and epic sound quality.....
What is out there that is closed-back or ANC and wired.... ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back