Help with cleaning AKG K7xx velour pads
Jun 27, 2020 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SorenTheOutcast

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

long story short, my stock K7xx velour pads (memory foam inside) are filthy, and i was thinking about cleaning them with water and detergent, as seen in this video:

The problem lies in the fact that these pads have a plastic ring GLUED to them, and i was wondering if it would fall off if i submerged the pads in water for a bit.

What do you think? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Jun 27, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #2 of 8
I would be very surprised if the glue wouldn't last through a gentle soft soap wash. In any case, you can glue them back on yourself if it happens using hot glue.

I did wash my old HD58X velour like pads and all was fine.

Jun 27, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 8
Why not just replace the stock ear pads?
Ebay is loaded with headphone ear pads (generic or factory or aftermarket).

Jun 27, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #5 of 8
When you say the pads are filthy, do you mean they smell bad or there is something on them that is filthy?
If you seal the ear pads in something like a plastic bag and stick them in a freeze, like overnight, it should kill any bacteria in the ear pads, which might remove any bad smell.

Jun 27, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 8
I've put all sorts of earpads in with my laundry, always using a delicates bag to contain them.
Never had a single problem.

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #7 of 8
When you say the pads are filthy, do you mean they smell bad or there is something on them that is filthy?
If you seal the ear pads in something like a plastic bag and stick them in a freeze, like overnight, it should kill any bacteria in the ear pads, which might remove any bad smell.
no, they do'nt smell. They have dead skin on them, and i'm sure there is some amount of sweat inside them.

By the way, freezing does not kill bacteria and germs, boiling does! It's very important to know that freezing only hibernates the bacteria

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 8
no, they do'nt smell. They have dead skin on them, and i'm sure there is some amount of sweat inside them.

By the way, freezing does not kill bacteria and germs, boiling does! It's very important to know that freezing only hibernates the bacteria
Oops, your right, guess I heard wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back