Help with choosing headphones, hd 598 or focal spirit one.
Mar 7, 2014 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

accordion2214

New Head-Fier
Hello, thanks for any help in advance. I am wanting some new headphones, well past time for an upgrade. I am in New Zealand so the range is a bit smaller than other places. I have looked around a bit and found the hd 598 and focal spirit ones to look pretty good and wanted some advice. I have about $350 US to spend. I will use them a mix of in the car and at home so a little bit of portability is important. I listen to mostly soft rock, jazz and a little bit of electronic. Thanks

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 9
The Spirit One is okay but it sounds too artificial with violin or such. Overall, HD598s for sure.

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 9
It doesn't have sound leakage that loud like Grados so I'm sure it wont be too loud unless you listen to music really loud

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #6 of 9
Hello, thanks for any help in advance. I am wanting some new headphones, well past time for an upgrade. I am in New Zealand so the range is a bit smaller than other places. I have looked around a bit and found the HD598 and focal spirit ones to look pretty good and wanted some advice. I have about $350 US to spend. I will use them a mix of in the car and at home so a little bit of portability is important. I listen to mostly soft rock, jazz and a little bit of electronic. Thanks

The HD558 uses the same 50-Ohm driver as the HD598.
You can also improve the HD558 by removing the black rubber tape from inside the cups.

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #7 of 9
Ok, thanks for that advice. The only thing I wondered was about sound leakage (not driving car, carpooling) with the hd598's. How bad would it be for other people?

That depends on how loud you listed and how sensitive are the ears belonging to person/people sitting next to you are.  For close quarters, closed cans--especially those the good isolation and low leakage, are the best choice.

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #9 of 9
The Focal Spirit Professional--see:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/two-strike-zone-focal-spirit-professional-and-spirit-classic

The NAD VISO HP50--see:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

and the Sony MDR 7520.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back