Help with choosing a gaming set up for console
May 8, 2014 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Oden

New Head-Fier
Hello there, I have been looking for a good gaming set up for quite some time now. I have tried various headsets but have found nothing I like. My current set up is PS4 and Xbox 360 with optical out, then to a home theater receiver set on DTS or Dolby, then out the headphone jack to Audio Technica M50's. I love how it sounds. The surround sound effect is superb considering its all just a make shift set up that I did not really plan. BUT the big problem with gaming is that I need a mic!

I have tried Astro A40s and they sounded awful. Like I had cotton in my ears or something. BUT I am convinced that the Astro Mixamp is a must have because it sounds great with other headphones. I am considering pairing it up with some Sennheiser's, like the pc360's or something

So, what I need is a decent headset with a mic, that I can plug into the Astro Mixamp for great game audio and chat functionality. Ive considered trying the Astro A50's but I don't know how much different they would be than the A40's. I just want both chat and game audio in my headset, with a mic to respond of course.

Or, if there is a decent headset that doesn't require an amp, and is compatible with PS4 (Not through the controller input though), then Please let me know.

My budget is around $200-$250. I appreciate any advice! Thanks

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #2 of 2
Hey Oden

If you are still looking I can reccomend the A50's, as the wireless functionality is great! Also with the cotten in you ears thing, there are 3 different modes that alters the sound signature to emphatize either bass, midrange/vocal or treble. This is very usefull as is can remove that feeling of cotten as you describe it by switching to treble mode with actually sounds pretty clear. :) You can also turn the Dolby surroundsound off, which brings the sound closer and even further gives clarity, though narrowing the soundstage. On top of all of this they are amazingly comforable! the memory foam all the way around makes them feel light on your head even though they are heavy. 

If you have not interested in Astro, then Sennheisers PC G4ME ZERO or G4ME ONE should be very good from what I've heard. I have only heard the older Sennheiser gaming headsets, which I liked. 

Other than that the Beyerdynamics MMX 300's should be amazing too. Basicly the DT770 with a very high grade mic.

Anyway, I hope I'm not too late.

Matt

PS. If you want a point of reference I have the HiFiman HE-400's and the DT770's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back