Help with choosing a CD Player source!
Jul 17, 2007 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

PYROphonez

Headphoneus Supremus
Well I've somewhat decided that I'm going to purchase a dedicated CD Player source for my desk relatively soon. Playing music off of my PC isn't always very practical.

I'd like it to be inexpensive (I mean really inexpensive), but still sound nice.
The more supported formats it has, the better (Although I only really have CD's and a few DVDs at this point in time). A cd changer isn't a necessity; it makes no difference to me. A remote control is highly desired.

Any ideas or suggestions for a good, cheap source are highly appreciated. The only one I've truly heard of is the old Refurbished Sony model that was supposedly extremely good for quite a low price.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 11
At the lower price level (~$50) you are looking at used viz eBay or a DVD player that happens to also play CDs, many of these exist, including but not limited to the Philips DVP642 or current equivalent.

Jul 17, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SCD-CE595, best CD/SACD playback you'll get in that price range.

Isnt it also the only SACD playback you get in that range
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SCD-CE595, best CD/SACD playback you'll get in that price range.

Yeah, I've been looking around at those mainly. That's the "Refurbished Sony" I was speaking of in the first post.

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 11
I hate to double post, but I have one more question.
Right now my eyes are set on the SCD-CE595 ($75), however I don't own a single SACD. Is there a better sounding CD-only player? I know that Redo said that it's the "best CD/SACD playback you'll get in that price range." I'd just like to see possible choices.

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to double post, but I have one more question.
Right now my eyes are set on the SCD-CE595 ($75), however I don't own a single SACD. Is there a better sounding CD-only player? I know that Redo said that it's the "best CD/SACD playback you'll get in that price range." I'd just like to see possible choices.

The next step up is to move into the NAD CD players, but they are just above your price range.

Edit:

Used Marantz CD5001 is worthy of a consider too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back