Help with cart for Rega P2
Jan 26, 2006 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Sweet Spot

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, here's a bit of a rundown on what I've been into as of late, and how much farther I have to go, until I settle in with some new Audio gear:

It's been about a year since I started thinking about purchasing some stuff, in order to upgrade my crap system (Onkyo TX SV515; Fisher studio 60 and won't even mention the speaker set up.)

I've had my Energy C-3's sitting on their stands, doing not much else but looking pretty, out of fear that my Onkyo would eat them up. (Have had a cut out issue, which thankfully hasn't happened in over a year) I thought that I'd start with a new receiver, but then figured that the receiver alone, wasn't enough.

So over the past few weeks, I've purchased a NAD C521BEE for my digital audio needs, replacing the Studio 60, and just two days ago, received my Rega P2 turntable. It's pretty damned sweet, with its glass platter and all.... Unfortunately, it came sans cart, and I'm sort of at a loss with which one to get.

Now, I'm pretty aware of what's out there, but I HAVE to stay on a pretty tight budget at the moment, else the woman of the house will have my head. The main candidates at the moment are :

Rega Bias 2 (which naturally is made for that table, so VTA adjustments will be null and void)

Ortofon OM10 which I think would be a nice starter

Sure M97xE, which I hear is a fantastic tracker and pretty neutral overall.

From what some have said elsewhere, the Bias 2 is "ok" and its biggest benefit is obviously the no hassle installation and set up. However, for $125 I'd rather get something like the Sure or better yet, the Ortofon if they sound and track better, even if that means having to mod the arm a bit with shims.

Someone told me, that a cart such as the Ortofon 520 wouldn't need any mods to be used, and that it's really a very nice piece, which quite resembles the Ortofon OM 20 Pro. So what I'm wondering, is if the same can be said about the OM 10 ? Besides all which I've said, if anyone has any other suggestions for carts, I'd love to hear them.

I do have to admit though, I know nothing of setting up decks, and am going to be a bit nervous when faced with the task of doing mine. I will obviously have to get a few tools (protractor or similar) and read a lot about what I'll be doing, so again, if anyone has any advice, or a really great guide for noobs in this area, I'd appreciate that greatly. (or if someone wants to come over and help in turn for some beer and food... ?
smily_headphones1.gif

I have yet to get the new receiver (Outlaw Audio RR2150) because it's out of stock, and I still have to get speaker cable, interconnects (probably Anti-Cable for SC,and either Outlaw or Blue Jean for IC's) and new furniture. So set up of the deck won't happen until I at least get new furniture. But that's for another thread....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back