Help with car audio
May 1, 2007 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rbf1138

1000+ Head-Fier
Can anyone point me to a good car audio forum? I'm going to be getting a car for college grad, and I'm looking into putting in a decent soundsystem. Don't see a car audio forum here, but I'm sure some of you guys know of some.
thanks

May 1, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 6
Dunno man, I've heard $10,000 car audio systems that sound like garbage compared to my $200 Swans M200. Unless you spend a whole hell of a lot of time in your car, I might look into a desktop speaker system instead. Cars are one of the worst conceivable acoustic cesspools imaginable -- glass, leather, carpet, plastic, and wood all over the place and in all sorts of odd shapes and dimensions, not to mention the constant distraction of the engine hum and the sounds of the outside world.

Hmm, guess I got off topic here -- the only car audio enthusiast forums out there probably tout Bose anyway.

May 1, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 6
I'm sure that there are at least certain systems that sound better than the manufacturer installed system. I'm not looking for audiophile, just something that sounds clear and crisp at louder volumes.

May 1, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 6
You would be amazed at what some people pay for their car audio systems. I am looking to replace the stock Bose system in my 350Z and am getting price quotes that are ridiculous.

http://www.sounddomain.com/

I have been lurking there.

May 1, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 6
I think there's a big huge knee in the price/performance curve right around Pioneer's "Premier" line of CD-mp3 head units.

Don't get the regular Pioneer unit, get the Premier version. It has a better power supply and better output.

Yeah, they're rated at a whopping 50 watts, but they're honest and clean watts. It'll go louder than any sane person needs it to.

I was very happy with a DEH-P750p until someone stole it, and have been very happy with a DEH-P840 ever since. The model numbers are surely way higher these days.

After installing it and tweaking the eq settings, you may find that you don't have a burning desire to replace the factory speakers. I know this is heresy, but there it is.

Surely you can do better than the factory speakers, but at what cost?

May 2, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 6
www.the12volt.com is a good audio forum. THe price of sound system can vary greatly depending on if you are installing it or if you are having it installed. There are many different brands ranging from crap to unbelievable. It just depends on how much you want to spend. If you install the system yourself, if you are comfortable with wiring things and taking parts of your car apart, as compared to having it professionally installed, you will save yourself probably about 25% - 33% of the cost. meaning thats how much it costs to install things. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/index.php is also a site i use alot. Those are two good forums that you can get answers to just about anything car audio related.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back