Help with buying headphones (300 €) (rock/metal)
Dec 22, 2009 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Immanitas

New Head-Fier
Hello,
this is my first post. I'm writing from Italy, please forgive my bad english.

I'd like to buy professional headphones for a domestic use. Here's my system:

DENON DCD 755AR (CD player)
+
DENON AVR 1802 (ampli)

My budget is, more or less, 300 €.

I mainly listen to hard rock and heavy metal, so I'd buy something intended for rock music (powerful basses, etc.)

I've been recommended some headphones:

- DENON AH-D2000

- Beyerdynamic DT 880

- Sony mdr 7509

Please, tell your opinion and name other suitable products if possible
wink.gif

I'm not an expert at all, I don't even know the real difference between closed and semi-open headphones (what would you suggest?), so I joined this forum
smily_headphones1.gif

Last question: am I supposed to buy a dedicated ampli for the headphones?

Thank you very much!

Dec 22, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Immanitas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mainly listen to hard rock and heavy metal, so I'd buy something intended for rock music (powerful basses, etc.)

Immanitas, may I suggest to put also the Grado headphones into your options list.
I think Grado headphones will fit your music genre-rock.

Dec 22, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 20
See if you can get a used pair of Ultrasone pro900's as I find these to be great with metal.

Dec 22, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 20
Some Grado's for sure. Possibly the RS-2 or if you stretch your budget a tad a HF-2 or RS-1. I have also heard Ultrasone are good for rock/metal and am getting some ALO-780 soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Immanitas, may I suggest to put also the Grado headphones into your options list.
I think Grado headphones will fit your music genre-rock.

Thanks! Which Grado in particular?

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tisb0b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See if you can get a used pair of Ultrasone pro900's as I find these to be great with metal.

Thanks, I will check 'em out
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some Grado's for sure. Possibly the RS-2 or if you stretch your budget a tad a HF-2 or RS-1. I have also heard Ultrasone are good for rock/metal and am getting some ALO-780 soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you too!

I'm checking the prices online but... wow! The RS-1 headphones cost around 1000 euro, the RS-2 around 600-700
confused_face.gif

That's too much for me, unless I win the lottery!

What about the GRADO SR225 or SR325?

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 20
The 225 are supposedly very nice while the 325 is supposedly somewhat harsh. I too am looking for some rock headphones in roughly the same price range and am considering the same phones, d2000, 225i, and am currently leaning towards the AKG K601.

I have heard the Ultrasones are very treble oriented (some would say harsh) and I am trying to stay away from sibilant phones. Not sure about you're preferences though.

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #9 of 20
Well, actually I don't have any experience: these would be my first serious headphones. I think I must try some products before I decide.

By the way, I read somewhere that the AKG are better for jazz and classical music (especially the K701).

Thanks for your post!

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Immanitas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, actually I don't have any experience: these would be my first serious headphones. I think I must try some products before I decide.

By the way, I read somewhere that the AKG are better for jazz and classical music (especially the K701).

Thanks for your post!

I have read that about the K701/2 but I think that for rock (or at least I am interpretting this from what I've read), the K601 "flaws" make it a better headphone for rock than the more revealing and possibly trebly big brother. Whil at the same time, offering much of what makes the 701 great.

Still researching though so who knows.

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you thought about used pair? If yes, with little bit more, like EUR 350-400, you can get a nice pair of RS1 AudiogoN ForSale: Grado RS-1 Reference , which may give you more than rock headphones only. Other than that, try SR225, also used, save rest for an portable amp like GoVibe Petite DAC version.

Why would he need an amp if he is powering the phones off a capable home theater receiver?

(maybe a noob question, but I am interested as I would be doing the same thing.)

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #13 of 20
At first, it will give you an good match with Grado, then the flexible use at home from your PC and as portable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by D_Strasse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would he need an amp if he is powering the phones off a capable home theater receiver?

(maybe a noob question, but I am interested as I would be doing the same thing.)

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by D_Strasse /img/forum/go_quote.gif

He doesn't. Grados are good to go from almost any source.

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #15 of 20
Let's say he (or I for that matter) don't go with the Grados, and went with a much harder drive phone like an AKG or equivalent.

Wouldn't a home theater receiver be enough to drive them? (thanks for the clarifictaion.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back