Help with Budget Headphones
Mar 16, 2016 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

NickyaKillah

Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fiers,

I have a challenge for you. A friend of mine wants to get a new pair of headphones for under $150. He loves classic rock and a pinch of country. He was going for the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x at first, but I thought he should do a little more searching, as the V-Shaped sound isn't the best for rock, let alone country. Anyone know a good pair? Thanks in advance.

Limitations:
-Under $150, no exceptions
-Must be closed-back (These are mobile cans)
-detachable cord much preferred

I was thinking some lower-end AKG stuff, but if anyone knows better, help there would be appreciated.

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 3
I can get you below $100 with the very good Takstar Pro 80 (also known as the Gemini HSR-1000). It is an excellent closed can for the modest sum and would be good with rock and country. In my opinion, it is quite possibly the best under-$100 closed can out there. I do normally include Grados any time there is a rock discussion, but they are definitively not closed and thus, out of the conversation.

At the roughly $150 price point, I like the SoundMAGIC HP150, which is just slightly u-shaped. You can also sometimes get an AKG K553 (quite neutral) for that price, but it has kind of a long cable and may not be great for portability.

Good luck!

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 3
  I can get you below $100 with the very good Takstar Pro 80 (also known as the Gemini HSR-1000). It is an excellent closed can for the modest sum and would be good with rock and country. In my opinion, it is quite possibly the best under-$100 closed can out there. I do normally include Grados any time there is a rock discussion, but they are definitively not closed and thus, out of the conversation.

At the roughly $150 price point, I like the SoundMAGIC HP150, which is just slightly u-shaped. You can also sometimes get an AKG K553 (quite neutral) for that price, but it has kind of a long cable and may not be great for portability.

Good luck!

+1 on the Takstar/Gemini headphone, I believe currently the best price on them is around $90

Users who are viewing this thread

Back