Help with Bottlehead Crack component
Sep 19, 2018 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Jim Spec

100+ Head-Fier
20180918_160542.jpg
20180918_160608.jpg
big mod.jpg
I bought this amp from a member, however, I have not received a reply from him regarding this component. This piece fell off the amp and I am having trouble knowing what it is and how to replace it. I am attaching photo of the component as it was attached to the amp and also a couple of photos of the component alone. The amp still plays so I am wondering if this is an essential part, it it should be reattached or replaced with a new one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, JS

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #3 of 10
That's obviously a power supply capacitor - a Panasonic one. You can still play the amp without it, but it's not going to be as quiet or perform as well to transients, etc.

What I would worry about is the construction skills of the person who sold it to you. That's a snap-in capacitor. There's no earthly way it should've let go and fell out. Even if the solder connection was dodgy, the snap-in leads should've held it in there, assuming of course, that a snap-in cap was what should've been there at the start. I thought Bottleheads were point-to-point and a snap-in capacitor is meant for a PCB.

Sep 20, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 10
You are right @tomb the Crack is point to point on the standard Crack the Speedball does use a pcb but not snap in components. This is a highly modified unit. And yes it is a power supply cap.

Sep 20, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks to both of you for you sharing your expertise. One more question. I will probable give replacing the cap a go. Does polarity make a difference with installation and if so is there an easy way to identify the positive side. Also, in order to make a more secure connection, would it make sense to solder some short wires onto the cap and then solder the ends to the connection.
Thanks again, JS
Better post that here Jim. Or ask in Bottlehead's own forum for a certain answer.
Thanks for your suggestion. I posted first on the Bottlehead web site. Thanks again, JS

Sep 20, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 10
I believe the cap came off off the opposite side than from your pic. As for polarity I don’t think so but don’t utter me on that as I remember with ac doesn’t matter but with dc it does I’ll try to find the instructions tomorrow and give a definitive answer but yes I would check out the Bottlehead thread much more knowledge than I have. As for using a bit of wire that would not be a bad idea and solid core would be the best bet as it won’t flop around.
As you are in Nashville you might want to look at the Local/Regional Head-Fi meets thread as one will be happening on Nov 3rd in Smithville not too far out of Nashville. It is called a Whiskey-Fi/Head-Fi meet as we like headphones and whiskey go figure. Still a lot of good headphones and gear will be there not as much as the Spring meet but still pretty good and lots of good Bourbons and Rye’s for tasting and Tom cooks up some mean brats and burgers.

Sep 20, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks again. I had no idea anything like that was happening in TN. I will make every effort to go. I have good and bad days. Just getting over chemo. Last year was given 30 days to live. I have been clear for a year not. I appreciate you letting me know. Best, John

Sep 20, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks to both of you for you sharing your expertise. One more question. I will probable give replacing the cap a go. Does polarity make a difference with installation and if so is there an easy way to identify the positive side. Also, in order to make a more secure connection, would it make sense to solder some short wires onto the cap and then solder the ends to the connection.
Thanks again, JS

Thanks for your suggestion. I posted first on the Bottlehead web site. Thanks again, JS

ABSOLUTELY THERE IS A POLARITY!! You will blow up the capacitor if you connect it in reverse. At that voltage, it will be an extremely violent failure, spraying fluid everywhere, perhaps.

The vertical stripe on the capacitor wrapping denotes Negative.

Sep 20, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #10 of 10
Why I sad don’t quote me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back