Help with Best PC to Headphones Setup (Long distance)
Jul 13, 2013 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Sonido

1000+ Head-Fier
I have an interesting situation. I like to play computer games through my TV, but where I have the computer, it is about 5 meters away and behind a wall. Right now I run a 5 meter HDMI cable around the wall to my TV from my computer's GPU and I use the built-in speakers on the TV. I want to use my headphones instead now, with optimal audio quality of course. Here are some options I thought about:

1. Use USB DAC and amp with computer and run really long 1/4" extension cable to headphones (around 10 meters since it will go from computer to sofa). DAC/amp will be set up next to computer.
2. Use USB DAC and amp with computer using 5 meter USB cable from dac and then a 5 meter 1/4" extension to headphones. DAC/amp will be set up next to TV.
3. Use the S/PDIF optical out on TV to DAC/amp and then 5 meter 1/4" to headphones. Bonus to this is I can use the headphones for sources other than the computer such as watching TV.

If 1 and 2 are about the same in terms of audio quality, I'd prefer 2.

3 sounds most interesting to me, but does it give any performance over 1 or 2? I believe HDMI produces a digital signal for the TV DAC to convert normally for TV speakers, but the S/PDIF optical out should allow me to use the external DAC instead.

Lastly, I thought about possibly getting audiophile-grade wireless headphones such as the Sennheiser RS 220. However, even though those cable lengths in the aformentioned setups I listed are longer than ideal, it's still better than wireless when it comes to audio quality, right?

Jul 13, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 2
Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card, used around $60.
Schiit Magni external headphone amplifier, $99.
You run a 12" or 15" 3.5mm M/M cable from the Xonar DX to the Magni
You would have the Magni's volume knob right next to you.

I would assume you would need a sound card for gaming.
And the DX/D1 already comes with the a DAC chip (CS4398).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back