Help with Banana Plugs: The sequel
Sep 25, 2014 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

NilsOlav

Head-Fier
Hi guys, making a 2nd thread about the banana plug issue. You guys helped me figure out how to insert the banana plugs into the receiver...but today, I just got my KEF Q300 speakers. How am I supposed to insert the banana plugs into the KEF Q300s? I read somewhere online that banana plugs should work with these speakers, but I do not know how. The "manual" that came with these speakers is clearly for experts as it has very little text at all. Is there some way I can pull out those red/black pieces in the middle? Looks like the banana plugs would go in there if those were gone.

On a side note...what do the "LINK" knobs do? See attached pics:

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 13
  How am I supposed to insert the banana plugs into the KEF Q300s? 

Those are just caps in the picture (the red and black plugs) pull them out there will be a hole booom! Put your banana plugs in there. 

On a side note...what do the "LINK" knobs do? See attached pics:

Link is just in case you want to bi-wire your speakers. Link just connects all the binding posts so you don't have to get a pair of jumper cables. Link should be on unless you want to bi-wire. 

Sep 26, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 13
Yes. Unscrew the connectors that surround them until the connectors come all the way off. Then the caps come out very easily.
smily_headphones1.gif

I tried unscrewing---they stop at a certain point and stay attached. I saw someone on YouTube take out caps with a different pair of speakers using a paper clip...I'd like to get these set up and working today if someone can tell me how to get these darn caps out! Worst comes to worst, I can unscrew the banana plugs and use the actual wire, but I paid money for these things so I wanna use em.

Sep 26, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 13
You don't need to save the little plastic caps. Just pry them out however you can.

Thumb tacs did the trick! These sound AWESOME man! Thanks for helping me pick these out and get them set up! One more quick question for you: What is the best way to get the best sound quality from these....turn my iTunes volume and computer volume up all the way and only control volume with the amplifier's knob, or leave the knob at a certain level and adjust computer/iTunes volume?

EDIT: And these are going to sound better after the break-in period? I don't know how thats possible.

Sep 26, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 13
Glad you like them. The Q300s are awesome speakers. You could have done different, but not better. :)

Some people believe in physical break-in; some don't. Some think it's partially psychological; others, all psychological. (I think it's part both) As your ears/brain get adjusted to the sound even more, they sound a bit better because you are processing it better. One speaker designer told me that most of the physical break in happens very fast, and then over time, speakers continue to break in, and are always breaking in a little, but ever so much more slowly. Either way. Doesn't matter. Just listen and enjoy.

Turn up your computer volume most of the way (maybe all the way--experiment), and then use the amp to adjust the volume. Or do it the other way. I don't buy into the idea that there's a big difference in SQ. Use your own judgement. Half the fun is trying these things out and deciding for yourself.

Now if you go with a sub, you'll probably want to hook the sub to those RCA outs on the back of the amp, and then configure the amp and sub to match (turn the amp up most of the way, and then adjust the sub amp to sound mixed in right), and then use the computer from there.

Did you decide on a sub? Or are you holding off?

Sep 28, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 13
For now, I think I'm pretty satisfied with the bass. However, I noticed something else in the instructions (see attached pic):

Am I supposed to put those phone cylinders into the holes down there? There's an X there on the left like I'm not supposed to, then a check mark on the right... but I thought it would muffle the bass if I put them in? Or is that just an option for those who want less bass?

Sep 28, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #11 of 13
Those port plugs are optional and will make the speakers behave more like a sealed speaker. You will lose some low end bass response if you use them, and the speakers' power handling capabilities will be reduced a little.

Sep 28, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #12 of 13
  For now, I think I'm pretty satisfied with the bass. However, I noticed something else in the instructions (see attached pic):

Am I supposed to put those phone cylinders into the holes down there? There's an X there on the left like I'm not supposed to, then a check mark on the right... but I thought it would muffle the bass if I put them in? Or is that just an option for those who want less bass?

If you don't want bass or vibrations plug it up. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back