Help with Audio Technica ATH-AD2000X
Apr 4, 2016 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mor339k

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm a person that never tried Sennheiser headphones or even any headphone with an amp or anything, the best thing I've owned and tried is the Razer Kraken Pro and it's really crap. I have these headphones for a year now and its a pain just to put them on, they are uncomfortable and there's way too much bass that I have to use an equalizer to balance it for my own taste.

Since I have money now I was thinking of getting the Audio Technica ATH-AD2000X mainly for rock and metal music..
For example, Queens of the stone age, Tool, Clutch, Arctic Monkeys and Marilyn manson.
This is mainly the type of music that I listen to, as I said before I never tried Sennheiser and I know they are good, but everyone says something else and where I live I don't have much choices. I could try to get the Sennheiser HD 598 but, I'm really afraid of wasting my money. I don't expect a super big difference to the point where I would be blown away. but I expect comfort and first of all sound quality mainly for the type of music that I listen to, I'm no audiophile but I do want to get in the market and get me good headphones with an amp/dac, as for the amp/dac I was thinking of going with the SMSL SD-793II, please help me here as the store wouldn't let me try the headphones before I buy.

Any advice or help appreciated, thanks.

my budget is around 450 usd.

I never tried open air headphones but as I own the razer kraken I don't believe I like closed headphones. it feels like there's a vacuum in my ears and it makes my ears ache after a while.

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 5
You might look into Grados,as they are very good for rock and metal,but comfort isnt their strong point.

I have the ATH AD2000,the non X version,and although Ive not heard the AD2000X,I can tell you that the 2000 is quite amp picky.

It is a very fast headphone,and very sweet for female vocals,but it can come out hollow sounding without good synergy with an amp.

I might suggest reading up on the differences between the two models,perhaps the X is easier to amp match than mine.

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 5
[u][color=rgb(0, 0, 128)]monsterzero[/color][/u]
I've looked around in stores online in my country and the best I could get is the Grado SR325E,
when comparing sound quality to the ATH-AD2000X how does it perform?
It would indeed be the easiest for me to get the AD2000X which is why I lean towards them, but if it wont work well with my type of music, I rather not

I can order the Grado SR325E, it would cost about 10$ less than the ATH-AD2000X would, but I wonder about the sound quality
it seems less serious than the ath-ad2000x

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #5 of 5
  [u][color=rgb(0, 0, 128)]monsterzero[/color][/u]
I've looked around in stores online in my country and the best I could get is the Grado SR325E,
when comparing sound quality to the ATH-AD2000X how does it perform?
It would indeed be the easiest for me to get the AD2000X which is why I lean towards them, but if it wont work well with my type of music, I rather not

I can order the Grado SR325E, it would cost about 10$ less than the ATH-AD2000X would, but I wonder about the sound quality
it seems less serious than the ath-ad2000x

tough one to answer....

As I said I have never heard the AD2000x,so to be clear anything I say is about the AD2000,and then its up to you to try and figure out how that translates to the X version.

For rock and metal purposes only....when properly amped the AD2000 is amazing,it is fast,tight,non sibilant,does everything real nicely.....when properly amped .The AD2000 took me thru five amps before I heard its full potential.

When it isnt properly amped its a thin sounding,hollow headphone that will only deliver sub-bass when it absolutely needs it,and zero mid-bass to be found.

It isnt the most comfy headphone ive worn,but it doesnt bother me too much

The Grado 325e on the other hand is not amp picky.any old amp will do.Plug it in and rock

The problems with Grados are the comfort and the fact for me at least,is that they are on-ear,as opposed to over ear.Because of that they sound less "full" to me compared to an over ear.Comfort is an issue for many,they arent good for extended listening periods.

They do rock very well,and most metal too.A very in your face aggressive sound.Small soundstage,but metal is not a soundstage genre usually anyways.For other types of music,there are better options out there.

Im having trouble recommending either headphone to you as your everyday go to headphone.IMO they are both excellent complimentary  headphones.They both have big positives and both have big negatives,as I mentioned above.

If you can get past the comfort issue,I think the Grado is a safer way to go due to the amp finicky nature of the AD2000.If you can find out if the X version is less amp picky than the original, I'd recommend the 2000x.

Again to stress what I said,I am talking about the AD2000,not the X,so YMMV.

I dont know where you live,but if you have access to Amazon I would recommend getting the Grado 80e,trying them and seeing if the Grado sound and comfort is something you enjoy or not.If you do like them,send them back and upgrade to 325e and call it a day.Everything the 80e does,the 325e does better,but the comfort and sound presentation is the same.the 325e just turns it up a few notches.

If you dislike the Grado,return it,and go for the 2000x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back