Help with audio for college
Sep 4, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tboneDX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm, i guess i could google all of that stuff, or could you help a noobie out and link me to the stuff

thx

HA sure, gimme a minute

amazing for the price speakers HERE check online for reviews

and maybe you can use a cheap t-amp or super t-amp and get a cheap and decent preamp/headphone amp, like maybe a CKKIII (a DIY amp, someone can make it for you if you want, MisterX is the obvious suggeston) with multiple inputs and a cheap DAC like an Entech Number Cruncher 203.2/205.2 with mods. and maybe an Allessandro MS-1/ Senn HD-580 and a mini^3 (also a DIY amp) for portable, but then you'll need a portable hp, IEMs, I suggest the im716 and closed hp, i suggest the senn hd25s

quick run down of cost
t amp ~30
super t amp ~100
speakers ~250
CKKIII ~200-250
Entech 203.2 ~50
MS-1 ~100
Senn 580 ~150
mini^3 ~100
im716 ~100
senn hd25 ~200

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #17 of 29
You can get excellent audio for way less than the budget you originally quoted.

Try the system out that I listed first on the thread below.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=258160

This one will drive headphones too from the monitor speaker outputs.

Sep 4, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #18 of 29
these are some really good looking suggestions, but I may have just convinced myself that headphones are the best option for the college scene. Can you recommend some circumaural open/closed headphones (better than my hd500's) for music, gaming and movie watching? I would also need a good receiver and headphone amp to deal with my connectivity woes.

thx P:

Sep 4, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #19 of 29
Well, for $200, these are the best headphones I can think of:

Grado SR-225: http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_p...62e4e403e08c71
AKG K181DJ: http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_p...62e4e403e08c71
Beyer DT440: http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_p...62e4e403e08c71
Audio-Technica ATH-A900: http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H...eadphones.html

Those are the best I can think of right now. However, depending on how much of a tight @$$ your RA is, he may complain about speakers, even if they aren't that loud. I would recommend swapping your speaker and headphone budgets. $200 for speakers will still get you decent SQ, and you won't have wasted your money if the RA tells you to shut up all the time. However, the difference between $200 and $400 headphones can be substantial.

I, personally, can't even use my Creative 2.1s because my RD is such a ****** that he complains about the bass when I have my Sub at 2/10 and the volume at 5/10...

Sep 5, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #20 of 29
Sep 5, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #21 of 29
open or closed or IEMs or earbuds or clipons?

and what do you listen to (genre-wise) and what is your price range for headphones and whats your source and do you want to use an amp and whats important to you in headphones?

Sep 5, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
open or closed or IEMs or earbuds or clipons?

and what do you listen to (genre-wise) and what is your price range for headphones and whats your source and do you want to use an amp and whats important to you in headphones?

He already answered half of those in his OP.

He wants closed headphones for $200, and he wants a $500 amp of our choise to go with it. The genre question is very important, though.

Sep 5, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by pow3rtr1p /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He already answered half of those in his OP.

He wants closed headphones for $200, and he wants a $500 amp of our choise to go with it. The genre question is very important, though.

yea sorry, was too tired, forgot to read the post

well i still think you should get a hd-25 and a mini^3 and be done with it

Sep 5, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #24 of 29
Wow, that Harmon Kardon receiver would do everything that I need (even if i have to use that optical input on the front). All I would need to accompany this would be an hdmi switcher, as I connect my both my ps3 and pc (via dvi to hdmi) to my monitor's one hdmi input. Would it be better to get this as a seperate deal? I have a feeling that upgrading to an hdmi capable receiver would involve taking out a loan or 2 :O

On to headphones now. I just hooked my old HD 500's up to the x-fi i installed today and I am liking what I hear. Are these headphones okay without an amplifier? (I still might want to upgrade).

Oh wells, keep the help coming
biggrin.gif

($400 headphones?) would they work with that receiver? or am i bottlenecking somewhere (source maybe)

Wow I'm full of questions.

Oh well, happy hunting!@

Sep 5, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #25 of 29
wow, didn't see that there was a new page.

I dont think i said that I wanted closed phones outright, and if i did it was a mistake. I currently have open ones and I like them a lot.

Also, if anyone here thinks it worth the extra few $$$ to get better headphones feel free to make suggestions.

The only reason right now that I am going for the receiver option is that I want to alleviate my connectivity problems.

Ahh, music. There isn't one specific genre that I listen to, but for the most part its jazz/ambient/rock/electronica with classical thrown in on occasion. The phones would also have to do a good job at simulating 3d surround in games, and for watching movies.

Sources: PC (x-fi extreme gamer), video game consoles, (ipod maybe soon)

headphone prices? (200-400) not totally sure.
looking for circumaural open? closed? (probably open like I have now, my new pc runs quiet)

Sep 5, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #27 of 29
Beyer DT880, Allesandro MS-2, or Audiotechnica ATH-AD1000 would be very enviable headphones under $400, and would all sound LOADS better than what $200 could buy you.

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tboneDX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that Harmon Kardon receiver would do everything that I need (even if i have to use that optical input on the front). All I would need to accompany this would be an hdmi switcher, as I connect my both my ps3 and pc (via dvi to hdmi) to my monitor's one hdmi input. Would it be better to get this as a seperate deal? I have a feeling that upgrading to an hdmi capable receiver would involve taking out a loan or 2 :O

There are optical and coax inputs on the back.

I would try out the receiver as a headphone amp and see how you like that and then go from there. I would also spend the money to get better headphones rather than a lot of other gear, the headphones are going to give you the biggest single boost to sound quality than anything else.

To get everything just the way you want you are probably going to have to purchase it all separately, although Amazon has both the ATH-AD1000 and the
DT880, the DT880 are about $150 less than the ATH-AD1000

Your soundcard has Dolby headphone built in so it should give you a decent surround experience with regular headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back