Help With Assignment Part1 - Topic: "Do You Think The World now is too Americanised?"
Sep 7, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #16 of 33
I found it ironic that U.S has open so many Walmart stores in China and they sell American goods and products over there, whereas most stuff in Walmarts in U.S. come from China.

Sep 7, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #17 of 33
depends:
1. There is too much hollywood/big box culture going away from the US and into other countries- the sad part is that many think this is how the US is really like!

2. There isn't enough Americanization, if you consider that less than half the world's countries are democratic, and fewer than that are fee... so our work isn't done yet.

3. Economically we are pretty dominant in some areas, too much? well, i like being able to recieve NOS tubes from Russia and grapes from Chile. I could only see bad things happening with less American economic activity going out into the world.

Sep 7, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
I found it ironic that U.S has open so many Walmart stores in China and they sell American goods and products over there, whereas most stuff in Walmarts in U.S. come from China.

Actually, Walmart sells almost 100% Chinese goods in China. Not much is the same except for the name. They even sell live seafood in some Walmarts in China.

Sep 7, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #19 of 33
If you the question of the essay is "do you think the world now is too americansed" then besides a yes, a no would certainly be valid with reasons to back it up. So what I am saying is instead of thinking reasons for yes answer, try think it for the no, and write your essay based on whatever answer you feel more strongly about.

Sep 7, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Before it does, I would like to say that no one in America's "evil empire" is forcing its culture down anyone's throats (France included). Our cultural products get offered on the free marketplace. If people in India don't want to eat Kentucky Fried Chicken, they can go to their local Indian food establishment. If our products succeed, it's because they're good and have mass appeal, when they fail, it's because they don't. Simple as that.

This is a very good and important point that gets overlooked so often when talking about Americaniz(s)ation or simply the globalisation game, in which American is a major actor.

I think that's something the presentation should not forget to point out. Americanisation is not an active action on behalf of the Americanz but a part of globalisation on the cultural, political and, albeit less, on the economic or rather business culture level as the economic invisible hand is rather indifferent to nationality unless national politics or different cultural perceptions start playing a role, which they do.

In the respective countries, globalisation or Americanization is a transformation of society in which the members of society take an active role themsevles - unless they're all sheep, which might be an interesting differentation for the presentation.

You simply can't sell something that the others aren't convinced of. They might not want it at first but you have to convince them that they do. Because, if that convincing part does not happen, e.g. if you loose the moral high ground in a battle that is largely about ideas, you can't sell it well and people won't accept it.

Sep 7, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #21 of 33
There is no such thing as being "Americanized". Replace that term with "Ease Of Life" or "Indulgence In Convenience and Entertainment". The vast majority of people on this planet strive to make their life easier, more convenient and to make more money and have a better life for them and their children. There is nothing "American" about that, we simply instituted it more quickly on a grander scale than most of the world, and others will inevitably follow suit. It is, of course, quit erroneously known as, "The American Way"...
icon10.gif

Sep 7, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #22 of 33
It might be best to first come up with a good definition of what is American and what is meant by Americanized.

Sep 7, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #23 of 33
Since NBA was introduced to China (thanks to Michael Jordan), there have been more children playing basketball in school and outside of school, would this be an example of Americanized?

Sep 7, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #25 of 33
I'm studing a similar issue on International business and international management here in university. I agree with a post early in this thread that the peak of 'global Americanization' has passed. America's political/diplomatic direction seems less defined than it was during the cold war. In my interntional business class, it says "In the 21st century, America will still keep an important role in political order across the globe, but Asian economies will work as a counter balance. Whether this translates to friendly or adverse relation to American politics remains to be seen."

Also I think it is very hard to distinguish 'Americanization' from 'Westernization'. Many of the core philosophies behind the American constitution is heavily based in British and French values of the time of American independence. Legislation becoming an absolute and universal law is something the British have been pursuing since the establishment of Magna Carta while Americans took over the lead in the 20th century. Modern interpretation of freedom and equality pretty much originates from the 'enlightenment' movement in France. It is hard to define a line where Americanization and westernization seperates but I think the westernization movement has been going on since the middle ages when Europeans colonized the Americas and insisted in opening trade barriers in asia. I think Americanization is more to do with how the world changed since the two world wars and how America and its former cold war allies dominated global politics and businesses especially after the collapse of the USSR.

In short, westernization has been going on for centuries, but Americanization happened in the 20th century when it emerged as one of the two superpowers.

If you want an example, just think of how the way of life all over asia has been dramatically changed in the last few centuries. Our fashion, technology, political structure has been completely changed. If you go to a club in Osaka, it will be near identical to that found in NYC. One of the biggest surprises I had this summer. :p The movie 'The last samurai' is an entertaining way to see how asia has been westernized. The same pattern applies to all major asian territories.

I hope this helps!

Sep 7, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #26 of 33
dj Mo, you might want to earn extra credit by comparing the current globalization of the USA with the victorian era colonization of Great Britain's spread across the world, ending with lessons that could be taken away from the decline of that empire with where the current expansion of USA's influence might be headed. if nothing else, tackling the topic alone should earn you a few brownie points.

when i was in high school, i wrote my paper on the emergence of the "throwaway culture" perpetuated by the emergence of the fast food industry and bubblegum pop music, and how they were actually affecting cultural shifts within the USA. it would be interesting to expand that globally now as a topic, so you have some fun writing ahead of you!

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #27 of 33
Ooh this is a fascinating topic.

I think there is more than one way Americanization as a verb can be interpreted (as you mentioned). There is the Materialistic/Trade complex of Americanization, the McDonalds, Walmart and KFC; and, there is the behavioral/cultural aspect to it, personal individuality and uniqueness; and, there is the political, all those democratic values us Americans love to brag about.

I think generally a lot of people, for example a few taxi drivers in China that I talked to, recognize that the US is one of the wealthiest nations in the world and therefore welcome investment.

There are a lot of misconceptions from Hollywood about American culture and generally other cultures they are unaware of in general. For example, in Asia, I've heard a lot of people suggest that people people of african descent are inherently dishonest, guessing from what they've seen portrayed in US movies.

In all honesty, I think that the world is less Americanized than people would like to believe. I think the ubiquitous english is interpreted as Americanization but plenty of countries speak English so I wouldn't necessarily classify that as truly Americanization. I think it all boils down to wealth, I can't speak for Europe, but I know Asia (mainly China) wants to "Modernize" with American investment but not "Americanize".

...I hope that's relevant to what you're writing.

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #28 of 33
Thanks for all the replies guys.

It's for a short presentation (10 minutes max) in my Marketing class - Contemporary Marketing Issues to be exact.

So I don't think I will be talking about something very in-depth. Maybe some general points and try to link them with marketing.

But is it really that Americanisation is declining? So what's it replaced with now?

I was thinking that like it or not, US is the most advanced country in the world, so it is just natural if it has the most influence to other countries.

But I was also thinking, England is also a large, advanced country, but it doesn't have that much influence over anything else?

Sep 8, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #30 of 33
DEFINING THE QUESTION

I think Americanisation refers specifically to cultural homogenization, NOT to political/military/economic dominance. To what extent are other countries' cultures becoming like the USA? (And how much do non-United Statesians in the two continents of North and South America hate the use/misuse of the word "American"?)

WHERE WE ARE NOW

To a great extent, Americanisation in the West is over with, i.e. it has been accomplished. You probably aren't aware of this, but talk to your grandparents and they'll tell you how American expressions and fashions flooded the country, undermining the "Australian-ness", "English-ness", whatever-ness of their culture. But now no-one complains about all the McDonalds's etc, because they've grown up with them. (On the other hand, try-hard "homeboys" in Australia are a more recent annoyance.)

HISTORY

This is perfectly understandable. Throughout history, the dominant country has influenced its neighbours, partly through trading power (TV shows, music, food products, etc, abundant and cheap), partly because it's natural to emulate someone richer and more powerful than oneself. Before the rise of the US, Britain was the dominant power, and British culture permeated the world.

(Check out the Wikipedia for "Lingua franca" for the way the international language of choice changed throughout history, eventually arriving at English.)

CULTURE FLOWS BOTH WAYS

But it goes both ways. There may be McDonalds in China, but how many Chinese restaurants are there in the US? (Answer: lots) There are also lots of Indian restaurants, Swedish furniture shops, and (God help us) Irish theme pubs. Unless the US puts up a new Iron Curtain, culture is going to flow both ways. Culture naturally flows FROM wealth, which can afford to spread it, but culture also flows TO wealth, because wealth can afford to buy it. (Witness the recent international interest in the death of Steve Irwin, a living stereotype of "Australian-ness".)

SHOULD WE STOP "AMERICANISATION"?

So the answer to your original question has to be "no", unless precious local customs are being driven into extinction by a fad for the new cool thing. But then, cultures change anyway. Can we freeze time or stop languages from changing? Should we isolate "exotic" societies in some kind of cultural zoo? Think about that while you chew on your Hamburger (German) and nibble at your French fries.

MARKETING TO YOUR TARGET'S SELF-IDENTITY

How does this tie in to marketing? *shrug* I'm not a marketeer, but in terms of appealing to particular market segments, Americanisation and attitudes towards it are factors that can be important. You could market something as "cool (dominant)" if it partakes of US popular culture (blockbuster movies, Coke), or "cool (exotic)" if it doesn't (French champagne, European beer *waves at Beer thread*). You can change your pitch depending on how your target market feels about US pop culture.

Of course, "America", in marketing terms, is an image, not a geographic location or form of government. E.g. plenty of "anti-American" people seem to have clubbed together to make Michael Moore a very rich American. (The same applies to things like art-house movies and indie rock.) On the other hand, I suspect most American-style jukeboxes are now made in Asia.

In non-US markets, you can appeal to patriotism (even if the product is made/designed elsewhere). On the other hand, you can also make use of what Australians call "cultural cringe", i.e. the feeling of non-Americans that their cultural icons are crude, inferior or irrelevant. (Plenty of Australians like Vegemite, for instance, but some of them find the patriotic associations embarassing.) (Leaving aside the US for a moment, you can also use an "exotic" image, or even an "international" image (e.g. Microsoft's advertising). )

CONCLUSION

So: the US is culturally dominant (which is perfectly natural), but also influenced by other cultures (ditto). The US and the West as a whole is becoming more culturally mixed, leading to a market in which a product has a wide choice of cultural "identities" to choose from. The value of "America" as an identity depends on the self-identification of the consumer segment you are looking at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back