Help with ASIO and foobar 2k
Sep 20, 2004 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

crazyfrenchman27

Headphoneus Supremus
I try to utilize ASIO with foobar, but when I open a song, I get the following error message:

ERROR (foo_output_asio(dll)) : unsupported sample rate.

I am using the foobar_output_asio(dll)_037 and ASIOall 1.8. I've tried changing the settings/sample rate in the control panel of ASIOall, but that has not helped.

Kernel Streaming is working fine with my AV-710, for the most part. However, I find that when I select a song without playing it while listening, Foobar stops playing the song I'm listening to; this is why I'm seeking the ASIO alternative.

Sep 20, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #2 of 10
Make sure the resampler of foobar matches that of the output of asio and of your soundcard. For example, with my av-710, in order to use hi-res mode (96000hz) and ks or asio4all, I also have to set foobar's resampler to 96000, or i get the same error message. For non hi-res mode, I have to make sure my soundcard is set to 44.1 and not 48000. Hope I didn't confuse u anymore than u were already.....Good luck!

Sep 20, 2004 at 7:26 AM Post #3 of 10
Nope, that's not the problem...
frown.gif

My resampler matches the output (I have an AV-710, too, and it's set at 96000 hz). Any other suggestions?

Sep 20, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 10
I've gotten problems getting ASIO4All to use the correct sample rate myself. For some reason on my computer it only allows 44100 Hz and even if I manually change it to 96000 Hz in the Window registry it resets back to 44100 Hz.

Sep 20, 2004 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 10
I had similar problems when I tired to use ASIO4ALL with my Chaintech. It was too much of a hassle, so I just went back to kernel streaming.

Sep 21, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 10
I'm using an Echo Indigo with Foobar. At first I couldn't make it work with ASIO at all. But I finally managed it by I changing the Output data format to '24bit fixed-point padded to 32bit'. You can alter it under 'Preferences>Playback>Output'. Maybe playing around with this settings will help.

Anyway ASIO never worked really fine with my setup. I always got many pops and clicks while playing music. So currently I'm using KS and it's working much better (But only when I set the output data format to '24bit fixed-point padded to 32bit' too.).

Sep 21, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 10
My foobar works with asio by this setup:
24bitpadded32, use that foo_output_asio(dll), output as asio (dud
tongue.gif
), No resampling. A/w about resampling, i hear no sound improvement when upsample so i just disable resample. It could be the placebo effect with resample on my senn580.

Sep 22, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #8 of 10
I doubt this will help but I had this same problem the other day. I had to go into sound and audio properties and select my 1212m as the default device. That did it for me. I was thinking foobar would bypass this but I guess not.

Sep 22, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #9 of 10
I also have 24-bit padded to 32-bit. But I still have it re-sampling (PPHS) to 96 kHz (but no "Ultra Mode"). However, here's snapshot of my ASIO4All settings...

asio2.jpg

That's pretty much it and Hoobastank is sounding mighty good right now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2004 at 7:29 AM Post #10 of 10
In order to find out what sample sizes and sample rates your sound card supports on the ASIO driver you can use a handy utiliy that can be found at the same WEB site as the foobar plugin

http://www3.cypress.ne.jp/otachan/ASIOcaps_003.zip

Look at the supported formats and pick the one you want. I don't have a Chaintech but I bet it only supports 32bit formats.

Unlike Media Center or Winamp, foobar does not perfrom an automatic adaption of the output format to match the capabilities of the card. So you need to set the output format to meet what your cards input is.

To deal with the crackling problem in high sampling rates on the Echo Indigo you can also use the ASIOcaps utility. Bring up the control panel and increase the buffers to 8096. This setting lets me play 24/96 material fine in MC, Winamp, or foobar.

Cheers

Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back