Help with Apple USB Camera adapter and Dragonfly
Jan 2, 2020 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Coop47

100+ Head-Fier
I've been searching for about an hour with no luck, so apologies is this was covered somewhere else. I'm trying to connect my Dragonfly (both a Black and a Cobalt) to my iPhoneX using an Apple USB Camera adapter, but the audio continues to play through the iPhone's speakers.

Other info:
- The iPhone works as expected with earphones plugged into a lightning adapter into the phone.
- I have the same problem when trying to connect to an iPad.
- The iPhone and iPad are both up to date.
- Restarting the devices and reconnecting the adapter doesn't work.
- The iPhone recognizes the camera adapter (checked under Settings>About).
- The Dragonflys work when plugged directly into a USB port.
- I've tried a couple of different earphones with no luck.
- I've used the adapter successfully before - I'm wondering if this has to do with a recent iOS update.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. My gut says this is a setting issue, but I can't figure out what it is.

Thanks - Coop

Jan 3, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 6
What app are you using as the source? I have the Dragonfly red with Spotify and had to choose the output in the Spotify app the first time.

Hi - thanks for replying. iTunes, Podcast, Spotify and Tidal... no dice. I emailed AudioQuest and they suggested it's a bug in the Apple updates...

Jan 4, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 6
Might be a defective adapter? Something similar happened to me , but disappeared when I replaced the old camera connection kit with a new one. Worth a try if you have an extra one laying around or know someone you could borrow one from temporarily. Good luck!

Jan 4, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 6
Might be a defective adapter? Something similar happened to me , but disappeared when I replaced the old camera connection kit with a new one. Worth a try if you have an extra one laying around or know someone you could borrow one from temporarily. Good luck!

Thanks. It worked previously, so I don't think it's defective. I've read a few places that there have been software updates that cut the power going out the lightning port, so wondering if that's it - that I can't confirm it's happening to anyone else with the latest update. Unfortunately, I don't have another one to test.

Feb 2, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks. It worked previously, so I don't think it's defective. I've read a few places that there have been software updates that cut the power going out the lightning port, so wondering if that's it - that I can't confirm it's happening to anyone else with the latest update. Unfortunately, I don't have another one to test.

so weird.
The same thing started happening to me.
worked fine and then one day to the other it seems like there’s a power issue.
sometimes a restart will fix it. Sometimes unplugging if for 4 or 5 times or (oddly) playing with the volume buttons with send power to the Dragonfly.
I wonder what the problem is... were you able to find out what it is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back