Help with an Office (cubicle) Headphone Set-Up
Jun 29, 2016 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BeAsTMode4MVP

New Head-Fier
I am looking for suggestions and advice. Comfort is my #1 priority. I will be wearing these for up to 16 hours a day (home & work).

Total Budget: $1000-$1200

Closed Headphones - 300-500
Dac/Amp - 300-600
FLAC/WAV Player - 100-200

I am looking for the most neutral sound possible given the budget constraints, closed design requirement, and comfort factor.

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 5
Do you need isolation or is sound leakage OK? If so, open headphones will typically give you the best soundstage.

Check out Innerfidelity's Wall of Fame lists. Good place to start:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-open
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

Jun 30, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #3 of 5
thank you for the links. Yes, I must have a closed design. There is someone to each side of me at work and we are only about 5 feet apart.

after some research, I like the idea of the Oppo PM-3. Two concerns: 1) the weight (will I be able to wear them all day? 2) do they leak sound?

I do not mind doing the research myself, if someone can recommend some highly reviewed integrated dac/amp combos that are somewhat portable.

Jun 30, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 5
Closed headphones generally do not leak a lot of sound. As long as you don't turn them up very loud, you should be fine.

I haven't tried the PM-3, so can't tell you how they wear. However, there are typically reviews and owners/impressions threads for all major headphones on Head-Fi. Google the make/model with head-fi as a keyword.

Jun 30, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 5
thank you for the links. Yes, I must have a closed design. There is someone to each side of me at work and we are only about 5 feet apart.

after some research, I like the idea of the Oppo PM-3. Two concerns: 1) the weight (will I be able to wear them all day? 2) do they leak sound?

I do not mind doing the research myself, if someone can recommend some highly reviewed integrated dac/amp combos that are somewhat portable.
When you say you want a flac/wave player do you mean a DAP ? There are many DAP's that can run full sized headphones so there wouldn't be a need for a DAC/Amp. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back