Help with amp for AKG 702
Nov 26, 2015 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kirkmc

New Head-Fier
Amazon UK had a deal this week on the AKG 702; they cost £115, so I bought a pair. I want to be able to listen to these in two ways. First, connected to an amplifier (Denon 720 AE) in my offer, and, second, through my iPhone. Chatting with some people online, I was told that the amp doesn't have a dedicated headphone amplifier, which I guess makes sense; it wasn't a very expensive amp. Also, as I found out, when you plug the headphones in, it doesn't turn off the speaker output. You have to manually shut down the speakers. (It's a two-zone amplifier, so there are push-buttons that activate zone A and B.)

Since this is a 62 ohms headphone, I understand that it won't sound great with my iPhone. 

Hence, I'm looking for a solution that, first, offers good amplification in my office. I run my music Mac > Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 > amplifier. I could imagine a separate, small DAC/headphone amp for when I want to listen to the headphones. Any thoughts on that, or recommendations for a specific unit? 

As for the iPhone, I don't recall seeing any portable DAC/headphone amp with a lightning connector, and I really don't want to have a bunch of adapters. 

An ideal solution would be something that I could use for both the amplifier and the iPhone... 

Thanks for any suggestions. 

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 3
I've listened to hrt microstreamer with k702, and was pretty satisfied and suprised at the same time. They didn't feel underpowered on lowish side of the volume “slider“.

I didn't dig through all other manufacturers spec, but I belive that usb dac amps like meridian explorer, geek out or apogee etc. would have similar results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back