Help with alternative replacement for Beyer DT770 80hm
Jul 24, 2014 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nathanlgd

Head-Fier
I started out about 15 years ago with a pair of HD25's. After using them for 6-7 years I fancied an upgrade/alternative so I asked on here as to what you guys might suggest for my needs and budget. Most suggestions were for the Beyer Dynamic DT770 80ohm which I bought and loved and am currently wearing :) After 7 years ownership of the DT770's I'm getting the itch to try something new, to upgrade - so, here I am again after what I consider to be great advice from my last experience on this forum :)
I use my headphones with my computer only, I run them through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, I listen to all types of music but mainly electronic stuff like minimal techno, techno, house, occasional drum 'n' bass etc etc. I like a good all round performance from my speakers/headphones but volume, power and good bass is critical. I adore the abrupt, in your face theatrics of a good Funktion 1 sound system :) Budget - I will pay whatever I need to pay but price tags towards the price of the DT770's would be preferred but I wouldn't mind spending a tad more for something that's going to 'wow' me :)
I look forward to your input guys! :) 

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for your reply, I'll have alook at those suggestions now. I'm not tied to closed back although I honestly don't know the difference between open and closed in terms of performance.

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #4 of 9
Wow! Those hope VI's look very cool and the reviews sound pretty much perfect for what I'm looking for - good suggestion :) The only thing is - the price - £450, I was hoping to pay around half that but I will stretch to these if other suggestions don't give them a run for their money :)

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #5 of 9
To be honest the cheaper results on Ebay are overseas sellers so you might need to add 20% to the price as import duty if you're in the UK. We have them at £549 just now.

Ok try the GermanMAESTRO JFB 8.35 D on our site, they're half price just now (just search JFB).

Reviews on here - http://www.head-fi.org/products/german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-headphone

Archaeologists will be digging these up in years to come - they are that solid. Not the best to look at however.

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 9
Ah! :) These look terrible but the reviews seem very good, the price is much more my kinda figure :) These could be a winner! I'll look into them a little. Thanks so much for your help :)

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #7 of 9
These sound like a great pair of headphones, (assuming you've heard both before - DT770's and these 8.35 D's, will I notice a good upgrade from the DT770's? Also, excuse my ignorance but I'm not sure what you mean by "on our site, they're half price just now", which site is this? I can't find a for sale section on 'here'. Thanks

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #8 of 9
The page I linked to is just the head-fi reviews page for the German Maestros.

Click on the link in my signature and you'll find your way onto the site. Sorry I cannot add direct links.

The DT770s may be more comfy and sound wider - the GM 8.35D is punchier with more impact, and are the easier ones to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back