Help with all these confusing sales, AL UHP336, UE Metro.fi 200, etc.
Dec 18, 2009 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

spinneresque

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All, I am a Futuresonics Person for IEM's, happy with my Atrios and I'm not really looking for anything but I am tempted by this sale:

Ultimate Ears Metro.fi 200 Stereo Earphone - IP-P2SSB0004-02 - Buy.com

and also the UHP336 which are also the superfi 3's for $40?

If I'm going to get a cheapy spare pair of IEM's now seems like the time to get them? And which of the strange sales is the best? Anyone?

I also own Grado HF1's and HF2's and Senn HD595's.

thanks~!

Dec 18, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 16
UHP336 for $40, cant go wrong if you want cheap. You may find they actually dont sound cheap too.
Metro200 is $20 cheaper, but sound is not up there with the other.
For 60 bucks, you can get both. Have 2 cheapy's.

Dec 18, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #3 of 16
The UHP336 may utilize SF3 transducers but they don't sound anywhere near as good. You're not getting $120 sound for $40. You're getting $40 sound, if that. They aren't bad by any means but they have several glaring faults that make them one of the most overrated budget IEMs around here in my opinion.

Not sure if the MetroFi 200s are any better but I do rather like the newer MetroFi 220s, if that helps any.

If I was getting backups in that price range I'd go for the $25 Meelec Ai-M6's on Newegg or the Maximo Im-590 if you don't like the over-the-ear fit.

Dec 18, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #4 of 16
I'm going to have to disagree with ljokerl. For me the UHP336 does a lot right for very little cost as long as you use it with comply for a proper seal. I could actually see some people preferring it over more expensive IEMs due to the overall balance.

Dec 18, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks guys, I'm going to try out the Ai-M6's from Newegg I think. Thanks to you all I just learned about them!

Dec 18, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to have to disagree with ljokerl. For me the UHP336 does a lot right for very little cost as long as you use it with comply for a proper seal. I could actually see some people preferring it over more expensive IEMs due to the overall balance.

I didn't say they weren't good; only that they were neither as good as the SF3 nor the competition. The high sensitivity is ridiculous. I am apparently very susceptible to hiss and these hiss out of absolutely everything. With the Amp3 the hiss is louder than the music. I also don't like the unnatural, closed-sounding bass that they put out. Take it as you will; they just aren't to my liking.

Dec 18, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't say they weren't good; only that they were neither as good as the SF3 nor the competition.

You called them "overrated" which does set a specific tone.

They are identical to the SF3 save the cable and the emblem stuck on them. I have both cables on hand and it sounds identical with both of them. I've used both units side by side, they are the same through and through.

Maybe you were unlucky and got a faulty pair?

Quote:

The high sensitivity is ridiculous. I am apparently very susceptible to hiss and these hiss out of absolutely everything. With the Amp3 the hiss is louder than the music.

Attenuator. I agree though, hiss is extremely annoying.

Quote:

I also don't like the unnatural, closed-sounding bass that they put out. Take it as you will; they just aren't to my liking.

"Not to your liking" is one thing, saying they aren't equivalent to the SF3 and have glaring faults in comparison without proof is another thing entirely. There's a reason they're called a "rebadge", everything is pretty much the same save the badge (and in this case, the cable).

Dec 18, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 16
Then I got a faulty pair also. I have had three SF3 and one 336 and the Altec was just not as good. I have heard others say they seem different also. You have to have good hearing. Comply's will mask the difference also since they veil. For me, they are more different than better(mostly the imaging, separation, and a bit of clarity). So, at least the variance on the Altecs is more and you might just get one that sounds worse. The one time I took a chance on the 336 I was disappointed. Much happier with the SF 3 I bought recently off ebay for $40.

Dec 19, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then I got a faulty pair also. I have had three SF3 and one 336 and the Altec was just not as good.

I've been through three SF3 and two UHP336. They all sounded the same except for the early ones using the poor quality cable and when the cables started oxidizing.

Quote:

I have heard others say they seem different also.

Could be placebo . . . have you tried changing the tips and cable between the two? Which version of SF3 cable are you using and how old is it? The old ones are prone to microphonics and aren't a very good gauge . . . that combined with oxidation could also change the sound drastically.

EDIT:

After digging some, it seems like the cable on the AL might be prone to causing cracking or breakage in the memory area. I rarely bend or readjusted mine and just hooked them on my shirt when not using it. Maybe this could be causing SQ issues?

Quote:

You have to have good hearing.

I do -- be careful insinuating that one doesn't.

Quote:

Comply's will mask the difference also since they veil.

They absorb some bass frequencies at best . . . I hardly call that a "veil". The benefit of a guaranteed seal every time is well worth it.

Quote:

For me, they are more different than better(mostly the imaging, separation, and a bit of clarity).

I guess you're free to believe what you want.

Quote:

So, at least the variance on the Altecs is more and you might just get one that sounds worse.

However, this is a statement and as such requires evidence.

Dec 19, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 16
Nothing said on head-fi 'requires' evidence since it is all opinion. They sound different to me, which I cannot prove. But you can't prove the opposite.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You called them "overrated" which does set a specific tone.

They are overrated. I made sure to qualify that statement as my opinion, but you chose to ignore that part. The hiss, the fit, the weird bass tonality all set the UHP336 below the competition in my book. When I had my set I compared them side by side to at least a dozen other IEMs, including the SF3. The UHP336 were the (only) ones that went back to amazon after 30 days.

Speaking of tone, I am really not appreciating yours. You are certainly free to say what you want, but you have no reason to cursorily dismiss anything said by someone else as being 'the placebo effect'. Your opinion is as appreciated as anyone else's, but no more. I'm done with this thread as I have no intention of arguing a point ad nauseam. Feel free to have the last word.

Dec 19, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing said on head-fi 'requires' evidence since it is all opinion.

Someone doesn't understand the definition of opinion. There's a difference between an opinion and a statement -- it would behoove you to understand the difference.

Quote:

They sound different to me, which I cannot prove. But you can't prove the opposite.

You are the one asserting a claim, it's up for you to prove, not me to disprove. Anything other than proof at this point is merely "faith".

Quote:

They are overrated.

According to you. It's funny, because you switched it from a statement of opinion to a statement of fact the second time around.

Quote:

I made sure to qualify that statement as my opinion, but you chose to ignore that part.

No I didn't, but you setup a negative tone . . . so don't be surprised if others take the same with you.

Quote:

The hiss, the fit, the weird bass tonality all set the UHP336 below the competition in my book.

That's a valid opinion.

Quote:

Speaking of tone, I am really not appreciating yours.

Get over it, I'm not breaking any rules.

Quote:

You are certainly free to say what you want, but you have no reason to cursorily dismiss anything said by someone else as being 'the placebo effect'.

There's no proof to show the contradictory, but if you read again I only said it "COULD" be and asked how they were tested.

Quote:

Your opinion is as appreciated as anyone else's, but no more.

Except the fact that I'm not making claims with no evidence like some others here.

Quote:

I'm done with this thread as I have no intention of arguing a point ad nauseam. Feel free to have the last word.

That's usually what happens when someone knows they're wrong -- especially when it comes to burden of proof.

Dec 19, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by henryhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope OP enjoys his new Ai-m6's!! I have tried them and I must say I was very impressed, and I have been an IEM guy through and through.

I hope everyone has a happy holidays!

Yep, what's important is the OP enjoys his new IEMs regardless. Guess sometimes I forget that >_<'

Happy holidays to you too!
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #14 of 16
I too have the uhp336 and $120 headphones they are not. I haven't heard the super-fi3 but the altecs were trampled by my old phonaks, which is what I think of as a good $130 phone. However, at $40, they were not bad, certainly much better than $40 sony ex51's I paid for a long time ago. I think the sound signature didn't jive with me. I wanted a bit more treble sparkle, sounded a bit bland and forgettable to me.

Dec 19, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by pi3guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too have the uhp336 and $120 headphones they are not. I haven't heard the super-fi3 but the altecs were trampled by my old phonaks, which is what I think of as a good $130 phone. However, at $40, they were not bad, certainly much better than $40 sony ex51's I paid for a long time ago. I think the sound signature didn't jive with me. I wanted a bit more treble sparkle, sounded a bit bland and forgettable to me.

My personal opinion? They're $70 IEMs at best. I didn't think the SF3s were worth the asking price which is why I only purchased them when they were heavily discounted -- same for the UHP337 when they were used to replace some SF3s lost in a car wreck.

I do however think the current market price for them is justified. I hate treble "sparkle" so for me they jived quite well. I actually like them in some ways over my TF10s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back