Help with a new portable player
Aug 8, 2013 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

PiotrTheGreat

New Head-Fier
So, after recently losing an iPod Classic 120gb and remembering that these forums are literally THE best for all things audio, I pose this question to you fine folks:

What would you recommend for a new portable player?

A friend of mine's got me looking at the old Zune. The downside: new ones are fetching a premium on eBay. 

Or should I just buy another iPod? Are there any other, equally good (if not better) options out there?

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #3 of 7
+1 for the Sansa Clip. Heck of a player for the price.

Rockbox it to get better functionality and battery life. There is even a way to format a 64 gb micro sd card with it.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 7
^The mentioned options above, unless you want to get some of the audiophile DAP's.

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Why in the world would you get a zune??

I would either get an iPod or a Sansa Clip which have good SQ, are cheap, and can have their memory upgraded easily.

+1 on the Clip Zip, best value is to get the Clip Zip 4GB ($35-$45) and get a 16GB or 32GB Micro-SD memory card ($15-$20).
And get the Rockbox firmware for the Clip, as Rockboxing would get you more features over the Clip's default firmware (interface).

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #6 of 7
I'd buy an iPod touch, or fiio x3. The iPod actually has a good dac (not really a good amp though), and there are tons of eq apps. The x3 just simply sounds amazing.

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
I'd buy an iPod touch, or fiio x3. The iPod actually has a good dac (not really a good amp though), and there are tons of eq apps. The x3 just simply sounds amazing.

I second that. The amp on my iphone is very bad, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back