Help with a new DAP purchase.
Jun 3, 2017 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ToneDeath

Head-Fier
I'm looking to purchase a new DAP to replace my old Creative Vision M. The video option on the Vision was never really used. I don't want to spend a bunch of money as I will only be using it while hiking with IEM's , in the car lined out to the audio system and occasionally listening with it hooked up to a Garage 1217 Sunrise III and a pair of Alessandro Music Pro headphones for some arm chair listening and zzzzzz.

My primary listening setup is a Marantz CD player used as a transport, digital out to a Schitt Gungnir Multibit and Mapletree Ear + HD amp and the Music Pro's. I like good clean lower level sound with my music preferences being Jazz, Blues, some Classical.

I really like the specs and user feedback on the now discontinued Ibasso DX90. The user replaceable battery is a real plus, three gain settings. I guess my concerns are do they finally have the firmware bug free, will they still be offering new FW updates, are these new discontinued units covered under a factory warranty.

The other unit is the Ibasso DX80 I'm considering. The battery issues some are experiencing, long term battery life and cost to replace battery are a concern. I do like the optical out option. Outputting some FLAC files to the Gungnir might prove interesting. I also like the dual card slots. It seems like the bugs in the FW are being worked out kind of slow according to some users. There were also some button issues.

It does seem like Paul from Ibasso is a stand up guy and is helping work out the problems.

I don't have to have the latest and greatest DAP, look how long I've been using the Vision M. Any input on these two units or a alternative unit I might consider would be appreciated.

TD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back