Help with a DAC
Jun 20, 2005 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TURBO

1000+ Head-Fier
I am planning to get this product:
vda_1.jpg

vda_1r.jpg

Specs:
The VDA•1 is the perfect upgrade for any CD or DVD based system with a digital audio output. Careful design layout and short signal paths are used for optimum performance and flexibility. Inputs are via Toslink optical or RCA coaxial. The signal is then fed into a Burr Brown DIR1701 low jitter input receiver, then to a Burr Brown PCM1716 digital to analog converter. The analog output is routed through a Class A output stage utilizing a Burr Brown OPA2134 opamp. All signal path resistors are Vishay metal film types with polystyrene filter capacitors. An external 14vAC power supply is included.
Inputs: (2) Toslink Optical, Coaxial SP/DIF
Locking Frequencies: 44.1k, 48k, 88.2k, 96k
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz +/- 0.1db
THD: <.006% 20Hz-20kHz
Output Level: 2.4vRMS
Dimensions: 4.40"w x 2.65"h x 4.40"d
Warranty: 1 Year Parts & Labor
---------------------------------------

Do anyone have experience with it? I currently have the EMU1212m, so my plan is to connect the optical-out of the 1212m to this DAC. Do I will hear a big difference using this, than the regular analog outputs of the 1212m? Thanks.
eggosmile.gif

Jun 20, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 9
I also would be interested in what others that have this DAC think.I was looking at it just yesterday but with the amout of cash already spend on my setup i just could not justify it.At least not this week
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 20, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 9
Just ordered this combo, it's on it's way.

All I can say is, jumping from an Onkyo SE-90PCI Sound Card (a card specifically for home audio, two RCA line outs) to a $250 EAD DAC was a HUGE difference.

I am expecting even better performance from this combo.

Jun 20, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 9
akwok, let us know if is there a huge difference in sound quality. We, all be waiting right here for your review. The design is so cool. It is the coolest DAC I ever seen. The amp that goes with it, is another cool one. Thanks man.

Jun 20, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 9
I suck at reviews.. badly. I have no reference to A/B from, other than this obscure EAD DSP-1000 DAC that nobody has even heard of.

Anyways, I will post impressions when I recieve the DAC/PSU next week (set for next Monday)

Jun 20, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
I suck at reviews.. badly. I have no reference to A/B from, other than this obscure EAD DSP-1000 DAC that nobody has even heard of.

Anyways, I will post impressions when I recieve the DAC/PSU next week (set for next Monday)

You can compare it using the sound coming from the Onkyo sound card analogs against the same soundcard optical-outputs. Just let us know if there is a big difference. Thanks.

Jun 20, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #7 of 9
Yeah, I'll be doing that for sure. :).

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #8 of 9
Check out Audio Asylum in their Digital section for a ton of impressions. I remember it was quite popular when it came out a number of years ago. I think I remember people saying that it sounds it's best with one of their upgraded, dedicated power supplies though.

Jun 21, 2005 at 12:13 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Check out Audio Asylum in their Digital section for a ton of impressions. I remember it was quite popular when it came out a number of years ago. I think I remember people saying that it sounds it's best with one of their upgraded, dedicated power supplies though.

Thanks I did. Another concern I have is, if the DAC chip (PCM1716) and the analog opamp (OPA2134) used in this DAC are better than the ones used on the 1212m?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back