Help with a change from EC4s- more bass, less anayltical
Jul 31, 2008 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kbuzz

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks, relative newbie here. My reference for the past few years have been the Shure e4c's with custom plugs. Both the plugs an my phones are getting long in tooth. Id like to replace both.

My requirements are that I can get a custom plug, more bass and MUCH smoother treble, with less high freq. detail/emphasis. Is i get older im seem ultra sensitive to sibilance and want to avoid any sibilance at all. I dont mind a colored or euphonic approach. Id like to stick less then $300, plus sleevs new or used, so long as i can buy a custom sleeve. Any thoughts would be appreciated, the short list being :

livewires
freQ

thanks.....

Jul 31, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 4
I got the Shure E4G (same but in sexier black) then purchased and preferred the Westone UM2

Bass has more impact. Instruments have snap. Liquid mids. Detailed and intimate but treble not harsh at all. E4C more airy and open presentation but I prefer the UM2 a lot more. And UM2 also much more comfortable. Shure has better cable

And more love here

P.S. Sorry, I do not know what U$ prices are

Jul 31, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 4
X2

SE530 is the most logical upgrade to E4 but considering your request, no question you will absolutely love UM2. Guaranteed. $269 is best price I have seen at Road Dog or Earphone Solutions.

Aug 3, 2008 at 10:07 AM Post #4 of 4
I went from e4 to Atrio, certainly stronger bass and less high detail. No sibiliance whatsoever. It's perhaps not quite as detailed as the e4, imho - it doesn't insert or isolate as deeply. Some would regard it as a step down, no doubt. I tend to regard it as a step sideways, at a much reduced cost, and I've got some customs on the way, which I will duly post on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back