Help with 5.1 headphones
Aug 13, 2008 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Vodka Panda

New Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of Tritton AX51 headphones for my PS3 and 360. The problem is that they can't be plugged into my television. Is there some kind of converter I can use to make them work in the optical, HDMI, or AV slots? Thanks for any help.

Aug 13, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #3 of 6
Whats the problem with 5.1 headphones?

and why dont popular brands like Sennheiser or AKG make them?

Aug 13, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 6
The problem is that none of them sound as good as a quality stereo headphone.

Plus, 3d virtualization in games and such has gotten good enough to the point where you don't really need 2-3 speakers and a woofer in each can. It is inefficient both in a financial and acoustic sense.

Aug 13, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #5 of 6
Making good stereo headphones (i.e. one driver, one ear) is a fun physics problem, but one where proximity and 1:1 correspondence between source and receiver keeps it from being easy to bungle that badly.

Now try assigning two front and rear sources to each ear, plus a center, plus a "subwoofer." Good luck with that. There are some okay approximations for gaming, but the SQ will be something along the lines of laughable compared to even mediocre stereo headphones. And this is without bringing up the topic of interference, damping, reflections, dead areas...

Anyway, you can fake it in software well enough that there's no point in many minds to even attempting a 5.1 headphone.

Heh...taso beat me to it.

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #6 of 6
Yup. 5.1 headphones are a ****ing JOKE. That is your problem. Sorry you spent your $ on them but yeah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back