Help with 1212M optical out.
Aug 10, 2005 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

sirnice

100+ Head-Fier
OK, I'm really a newbi to this pro sound card stuff.
After reading about how great the Creative E-MU-1212M card is on this forum, lookup the closest guitar center in my area and purchased one today.

I'm having problem getting the Optical out to work.
I connected the optical out on the 1212m to my home receiver but I'm not getting any sound/music. This works fine with my Audigy 2 ZS card.
I can hear sound using the anolog out on the 1212m (daughter card) but just not the optical out. What am I doing wrong? Is there special settting I need to enable for the optical out to work. BTW, The sound quality is incredible compare to my Audigy.

Please help.

Aug 10, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 27
In the output strip, you need to add a "send" to the "s/pdif - pci card".

To do this, right click on the first empty box in the output strip or in the main mix and select "insert send" and select the s/pdif - pci card option.

realistically speaking though, the DAC in the 1212m is very good so you might prefer using the analog outputs.

Aug 10, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
In the output strip, you need to add a "send" to the "s/pdif - pci card".

To do this, right click on the first empty box in the output strip or in the main mix and select "insert send" and select the s/pdif - pci card option.

realistically speaking though, the DAC in the 1212m is very good so you might prefer using the analog outputs.

Can you list the step on how to do that?
Sorry, I'm new to this.

Thanks

Aug 10, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 27
Create a new session
Select 44.1 minimum -10
In the wav strip under where it says "inserts" insert a send to host in ASIO 1/2
Then in the main mix area where it says "main inserts" insert one send to I/O card 1/2
Then insert another send to s/pdif l/r

This will allow you to output either analog or digital with either WAV or ASIO.

If you want to keep if from setting off the clipping meters or lower the output, then at the top of the WAV and ASIO strips insert a trimpot in each and lower it to at least -3db.

Aug 10, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Create a new session
Select 44.1 minimum -10
In the wav strip under where it says "inserts" insert a send to host in ASIO 1/2
Then in the main mix area where it says "main inserts" insert one send to I/O card 1/2
Then insert another send to s/pdif l/r

This will allow you to output either analog or digital with either WAV or ASIO.

If you want to keep if from setting off the clipping meters or lower the output, then at the top of the WAV and ASIO strips insert a trimpot in each and lower it to at least -3db.

I did what you said and still no sound coming from the Optical out.
I checked all connections, they seem to be fine.
am I still missing something?

Aug 10, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 27
Another thing to check is set optical output to SPIDF not ADAT.

Aug 10, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Another thing to check is set optical output to SPIDF not ADAT.

It's on ADAT. How do I change it to SPIDF?

Aug 11, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 27
well there might be your problem...

In the upper right corner next to where you see the FX button is a button with an "O" on it. click it and select the I/O tab. Then where you see optical output, select s/pdif instead of adat.

Aug 11, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #11 of 27
Sorry, I went out for dinner with the family.

Anyway. That did it. I really really appreciate everyone's help and expertise in this matter. The sound is incredible out of my HK Sound stick pro II.

Just amazing. Extremely detailed sound. It's like nothing i've ever heard before.

I'm going to play with it tonight
smily_headphones1.gif
. Again. thank you.

Now I have to think of what else to upgrade
rs1smile.gif
Maybe an external amp will improve the SQ even more than my ONKYO RECEIVER? Any suggestions?

Aug 11, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 27
Just concurring with the suggestion to try the analog out on the E-Mu 1212M as well. I think you will be surprised at how good it sounds.

Aug 11, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #13 of 27
One more quick question.
Does the E-MU 1212m have an internal amp to power say headphone or speakers?

Aug 11, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith
Just concurring with the suggestion to try the analog out on the E-Mu 1212M as well. I think you will be surprised at how good it sounds.

Yeah I don't quite understand why one would buy such an expensive card for it's optical out. Wouldn't a AV710 serve better? Wanna switch cards sirnice?
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #15 of 27
You will need an amp of some kind to connect speakers or headphones to the 1212. But you could run the analog out to your receiver, right?

I'm using a 1212 for digital out right now, but before I got my Benchmark DAC1 I was very happy with the analog out the E-Mu provided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back