Help with $100-$200 Closed Headphones
Dec 27, 2015 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jdhempel

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster here, and I could really use some help with headphone choices. 

I know I need closed back headphones. Quite often I have people around me, and while being isolated from other sounds is not a top priority, I don't want sound to bleed from the headphones. 

The budget for these is about $150. If there is a great deal at around $200, I may be convinced.

Source audio will be primarily laptop (Lenovo Y40, if it matters) and desktop (integrated motherboard audio), with the occasional use in an Android phone. (OnePlus2) I am definitely considering the Fiio E10K, but I have a friend with that DAC/AMP, so I will try the headphones on his to see if I feel the Fiio is worth it. 

I listen primarily to melodic electronic music (Porter Robinson, etc.) with some of my time spent listening to rock music. 

Comfort is also big for me; using headphone for several hours at a time is completely normal for me, so if headphones aren't comfortable for 4+ hours I may have a bit of a problem.

Now, I'm going to try and describe the sound signature I'm looking for with these, let me know if I say anything that doesn't make sense. 

I've listened to both the ATH-M40X's and the AKG K553 Pros. I enjoyed both, as they are a sizable upgrade to the audio I currently have (Apple Earbuds and some crappy gaming headset). I enjoyed the Audio Technica's a bit more, considering they have more bass than the AKG's, which felt a bit lacking in the low end. I have done a lot of research about the Sony MDR-1R's, r/headphones listed them as a warm sounding headphone (which I would like) and I really like the styling. Would they fit my sound signature desires?

I guess I want headphones that have clean, solid bass (but definitely not overpowering bass), more forward mids, and enough treble for the sound to be detailed, but not enough that they are fatiguing to listen to. I don't want bright headphones, would prefer something warm. I prefer musicality over detail, but detail is still important. I would like a large-ish soundstage.

I guess I like the sound of the M40X's, but just wish they were a bit warmer, and had a bit more sound stage. Does something like this exist? The AKG's were a bit more comfortable, but I didn't find the M40's bad either. 

On another note, would IEM's satify my needs better than over-the-ear headphones? The portability is only a "nice to have," not a necessity. 

Don't get too upset, but the style of the headphones is somewhat important to me. I love the aesthetics of the Sony MDR-1R, but it is definitely not the end-all be-all. 

Sorry for the wall of text I have here, and thanks in advance for the help!

P.S. Why are headphones so much harder than computer components? 

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 2
BEATS BY D---Nah, from experience i thoroughly enjoyed the Audio Technica ATH-M50s, Had a punchy bass and overall great range (I suppose they have newer models out, cant really say anything about them). They worked great on my shifty lenovo y400 laptop as well as on a fiio e17 (which is a great option for an affordable dac/amp btw). 

Ive also heard good things about the beyerdynamic custom one pro plus from friends, especially if youre into the whole ajustable bass. Probably better options out there but these two were the ones im best acquainted with and feel comfortable recommending. (the ATs are relatively portable over ears where a the one pro plus definitely isnt).

Again, no clue on the 100-200 IEMs but i definitely enjoyed my shure se846s, and have heard good things about the shure se215s. Although they take a bit to get used to (can be uncomfortabel if fitted improperly). 

P.S.-Because there isnt just one company to sell or develop one specific part i suppose..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back