HELP! What to choose? JMT...Portable, or MINT?????
Mar 16, 2004 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

RIDE

100+ Head-Fier
SO I am wondering if anyone out there can offer some suggestions. I am stuck between these two amps...the MINT has the definite coooool factor going, but the Portable should offer better sound. Just how much better though?

So, my set up is an iPod with the following headphones: Shure E3c, Senn PX100, and Grado SR60.

I would love to hear if anyone has a similar set up with either of these amps that could steer me in the right direction.

THANKS!

RIDE

Mar 16, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 7
Oh and I already spoke with Jon of JMT and he doesn't have experience with either the iPod or the headphones that I use.

RIDE

Mar 16, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #4 of 7
Its been a little while since i checked out JMT's site, but as i recall, he upgraded the portable amp from a META42 board to house a PIMETA board, which IMO, is awesome! I used to own his mint amp, and it was extremely well crafted and sounded pretty damn impressive. However, i would definetetly recommend the portable (PIMETA board) over the mint even though the mint does have that sexy look to it...
biggrin.gif

If you want my opinion, it is 100% towards the portable...but the ultimate choice is up to you.
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2004 at 6:46 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the responses. I am still not sure, but it seem like I can't go wrong with either.

I was just hoping that someone out there had experience with a similar set up as mine and could chime in with some of their experiences.

RIDE

Mar 17, 2004 at 11:12 AM Post #7 of 7
Here's a bit of chiming
wink.gif
I have an iPod (with most stuff encoded at 192kbs) and SR60's as well as other superior sources and phones. I have the latest Supermicro from Fixup and connected to the line out via Sik cable, the amp more than justifies it's investment.

I have no experience of the other amps you mention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back