Help...Weird problem with windows....
Oct 18, 2005 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

MadDog5145

500+ Head-Fier
Everytime I double-click a folder to open it, Windows search window pops up instead. I have no idea whats going on......

untitled5nh.jpg

As you can see the search function moved all the up in my context menu
confused.gif

Oct 18, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 15
I have been running that theme for a long time.

Oct 18, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 15
your mouse buttons have been reversed. try the mouse control panel or reloading the mouse driver.

Oct 18, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 15
My mouse buttons are fine. I just right clicked on one of the folders to show that the search was on top of context menu where "open" should be.....

Oct 18, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #6 of 15
Check out Customize Context Menus article at Annoyances.org. Basically, from Windows Explorer, you need to click Tools > Folder Options > File Types. From the list of registered file types, select Folder and then click Advanced. You then need to specify the proper default action of the double click.

You can specify the default action of a double click on a file type basis. Something must have changed the setting. Hopefully you only have this issue with folders.

Edit: I'll save you the trouble of visiting the link...

For file icons (Windows Me/2000/XP):
  1. Select Folder Options from the Tools menu in My Computer or Explorer, and click the File Types tab.
  1. Highlight the desired file type, and click Advanced.
  1. Here, you can specify a new name for this file type (to be listed in the type column in Explorer), as well as the default icon for files of this type.
  1. In the box entitled Actions, is a list of the customizable context menu items. The bold item is the default (the action carried out when you double-click on a file of this type).
  1. You can add new items, change the default action, and remove unwanted items here. For new items, simply specify the program with which you want the action caried out.

Oct 19, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 15
Tried that and set open to default, but it is still giving me the same problem. Am I changing the wrong the thing?
untitled28bs.jpg

Oct 19, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 15
Maybe you can do "system restore"? If you change your setting back to a restore point somewhere last week the problem is probably gone.

I has worked for me with freak problems like this...

Oct 19, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #9 of 15
Ok, I figured out that for File Folders the default action was set to find (I dont know how that happened), but there is no "open" option
confused.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Maybe you can do "system restore"? If you change your setting back to a restore point somewhere last week the problem is probably gone.

I has worked for me with freak problems like this...

I never had freaked problems like this or any other problems I couldnt figure out, so I had system restore turned off.....oops...

Oct 19, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog5145
Ok, I figured out that for File Folders the default action was set to find (I dont know how that happened), but there is no "open" option
confused.gif

The default action of File Folders is set to find on my system as well, but I don't have the problem you described. I'm stumped.
confused.gif

If you want, I can get you a free technical support telephone session with Microsoft customer support.... if you can wait til Thursday. I've taken the day off tomorrow and I left the tech support calling card at the office. Let me know.

Oct 19, 2005 at 1:24 PM Post #12 of 15
The Directory Shell is taking preference over Folder Shell in the registry.
Open regedit, and find the following Keys.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shel l
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

when clicked,the default property's value in these keys should be set to "none".

If the value is blank, I think its considered to be not "none" and windows thinks that the first shell command under the Directory Shell is the default command.

Of course, the usual disclaimer applys when editing registry.

Oct 19, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #13 of 15
I did some major googling last night and found someone with the exact problem as me (Link . Tried his solution and its working so far...crosses fingers.....

Those two values were set to open, but everything is fine now so I wont touch them unless stuff goes screwy again......

Oct 19, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog5145
I did some major googling last night and found someone with the exact problem as me (Link . Tried his solution and its working so far...crosses fingers.....

Those two values were set to open, but everything is fine now so I wont touch them unless stuff goes screwy again......

nice to hear you got it fixed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back